Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtumonde Virus...HELP!!  (Read 4161 times)

noone

Topic Starter

Virtumonde Virus...HELP!!
    « on: January 05, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »
    I'm not an expert in computers, so please bear with me if I make some remedial terminology errors. 

I recently ran into a problem with windows explorer turning on and off.  On start up, everything is fine, then the desktop disappears after 5 seconds or so.  Then it reappears.  I restarted in safe mode and ran ADAWARE SE.  It detected Virtumonde.  I tried to run Mcafee, but it doesn't work.  The only to search my computer was through task manager, so I went to regedit and removed every file that adaware detected.  Next, I ran spyware Sweeper and it detected a file named TuvTllme.dll in system 32.  I found the file and deleted it, then emptied the recycle bin.  I then searched the registry again and found nothing.  I rebooted, and it appeared again!

I cannot connect to the internet. 

I cannot get hijack this! to run.

I copied superantispyware to the desktop using my laptop and a thumb drive.  When I try to open it, an error says the system administrator prevents me from the operation.  I tried the same with vundofix, but it doesn't even open.  So now I'm stuck. 

Is there a way to get my data off the hard drive so I can restore to factory defaults?  I tried using my external hard drive, but I can't get windows to stay open long enough.  Is there anyone that can help?  Do I need to call a professional?  I've got YEARS of pictures, music, programs and bookmarks I don't want to lose.  Please help!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Virtumonde Virus...HELP!!
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:05 AM »
    We can try to help solve this problem with this computer. You may not have to perform a Factory Reset or anything similar.

I assume you were trying this?
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

On the Flash Drive (thumb drive), rename the files, and then transfer them to the computer.
    For example, rename Hijackthis.exe to Sniper.exe.
    Now try running them.

If that still doesn't work, run the three software in Safe Mode.
    (Steps 3, 4 and 6)

noone

Topic Starter

Re: Virtumonde Virus...HELP!!
      « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »
      First of all, thanks for replying!  Renaming did not work, and I was already in safe mode in my previous attempt.  I got it to work though.  I D/L 3 programs and extracted them on my laptop.  Then I took the files and copied them to my flash drive.  i plugged that bad boy into my desktop and I was able to run the programs!  Superantispyware found 26 items.  I ran Spybot next and it found 4 items.  Lastly, I used Avira and it found 3 items.  Are there any other programs that might be helpful?