Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a bundle of questions...  (Read 3106 times)

kitchentable

Topic Starter

a bundle of questions...
    « on: January 07, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
    I have a eMachine laptop, model # W340UA or N-10.
    The screen has darkened so much that it is almost impossible to see the screen, I was told the problem was the backlight and that it had went bad, which meant I had to get a new computer, the computer is just over a year old and the warrenty of course had ran out.

What I want to know, is can I hook a regular desktop monitor to my laptop and continue to use the lap top, because the screen is the only thing that is not working. Can I do this??

I am also looking to buy a power supply for the same laptop as the one I have/had, the wiring broke inside and eventually caused the chord to seperate and give the computer no power, where can I get another one of these at the cheapest price!

please respond here!!!

ras58396

Rookie

Re: a bundle of questions...
      « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »
      Most laptops have a VGA connector for a monitor.  I am not familiar with yours though.

Exactly where is the wire broken? 

racerrandy

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:30:21 AM »
        You can buy backlights and lcd inverters pretty cheap if you can put them in yourself. I found them on ebay for under 20 dollars. Here is a guy selling them as well, they are more than on ebay but checkit out.

http://www.midwestlaptopparts.com/

not sure if they have emachine parts but give them a try.

Randy

kitchentable

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
          the wiring in the power supply broke right near the connector to the computer. I was told if it were a backlight issue the computer would have to be replaced. It was and is a good computer minus the screen issue. Id really like to have the issue fixed and keep the computer, if I have to buy a monitor and use it through that I will, I just really need to get the issue fixed ya know, any help is greatly appreciated.

racerrandy

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
            Here is a site with some help for you maybe. I can not see why the lcd invertor or backlight can't be fixed if you are willing to do it yourself. I had a geeksquad guy tell me that it would cost more to rep;ace the inverter than the computer was worth. I bought a inverter for 10 dollars plus shipping.

http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_emachines.html

Randy

t_blake07

Apprentice
              « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
              I had a geeksquad guy tell me that it would cost more to rep;ace the inverter than the computer was worth. I bought a inverter for 10 dollars plus shipping.

http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_emachines.html

Randy

Gotta love those guy's.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »
              STOP.

Kitchentable, unless you know EXACTLY what to do with the new inverter, I suggest bringing the computer back to the shop.

If it is under warranty, you can get it repaired for free, and is the safest option.

If you do anything wrong, you may completely destroy your computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »
              heh, come to think of it, this kind of went like this:

"Ahh, my computer doesn't seem to work, the program I use for recipes won't install and it says confusing things. Says, I need a new "graphics Card" Will my VISA work?"

Don't worry, it's easy, just buy a new graphics card from the store, and take apart your computer and plug it in.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ras58396

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
                Seems like two problems: 1. Screen is dark, and 2. broken wire in power line.