Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help; windows won't load.  (Read 3912 times)

HerbieDog

Topic Starter

Rookie

Help; windows won't load.
    « on: November 24, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
    Hi there just wondered iaf anyone could help with this problem.

Our laptop (running XP) is refusing to work.

When the computer is turned on we get a black screen saying windows didn't start succesfully due to a possible recent hardware or software change. There are five options; 3 go into safe mode, one start normally, one last known good configuration.

However whichever one you choose windows tries to load but the goes to a bluescreen: Says to unistall any antivirus, disk defragmentation, backup utilities, check your hard configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for harddrive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x84B54848, 0C0000102, 0x00000000)

The blue screen only stays on the screen for about 2 seconds then we go back to the black screen and the whole process repeats.

Before the last time I shutdown the computer I removed some programs and ran scandisk, so am presuming that this has something to do with it.

Any help would me much appreciated. Thanks.

alan1000

Rookie

Re: Help; windows won't load.
      « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
      Hi Herbiedog,

The 0x00000024 part is telling you that you almost certainly have a problem with NTFS.SYS, and without that file working, there is no way you will get your computer to run.

I'd first try booting the computer directly from the Windows XP cd, if you have one.  When Windows Setup starts, choose the option to repair an existing installation, and follow it from there.  Unfortunately I can't remember the sequence very clearly, but you will need to select any option which offers to repair your system files.  You can find more info at the Microsoft website.

HerbieDog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »
        Ok thanks I'll give that a try. Will this erase any of the stuff on the hard drive?

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »
        Windows repair won't erase any personal files, or programs.
        Windows repair deals with system files ONLY.
        Manual: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
        « Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:01:47 AM by Broni »

HerbieDog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »
          So I've found the XP installation CD, so i just put it in the cd drive, turn on the computer and follow the instructions?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »
          Yes.
          I would read thru them completely and also print out a copy for reference.
          If this is done correctly all your programs and data will be intact...
          If done incorrectly all your data will be gone but you will have a fresh install of XP.

This is why it's important to make sure you understand the instructions.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

HerbieDog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
            Ok so I've attempted to do what the guide (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) says. I can do the steps up to 4, but for 5 I don't get an option to repair an xp installation, instead I get:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartioned space on this computer.
            Use the up and down arrow keys to select am item in the list.
            -To set up Windows XP on the selected item press, press enter.
            -to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c.
            -to delete the selected partition, press d.

73617 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on repair [MBR]
            C: Partition 1 [Unknown]  76317 MB (76317 MB free)

So do I need to press enter and then will get the repair option.
            I only ask because the guide tells you to exit if you don't get the option to repair, and I don't really want to lose all my data.

Thanks in advance.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
            If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read   Warning#2!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »
            Something you have attempted prior to this has crippled your XP install and/or wiped your data.
            If the repair install does not show an existing XP installation to fix than your data is severely corrupted and/or gone.

Recovery Console Guide

These are Microsofts instructions on using the Recovery Console to try and repair a corrupt XP install.
            The 2 commands you want to run are fixboot and fixmbr.
            You will need an XP CD for this...your laptop CD won't work.

Once you have loaded the RC ( it will be a command-prompt black screen ) at the prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter.
            Remove the CD and re-boot.
            If the machine still does not boot up repeat the instructions to load the Recovery Console but at the prompt this time type in fixmbr and hit Enter...you will recieve a Warning...choose Y or the yes prompt.
            Again remove the CD and re-boot.

If neither of these get the laptop back to where it will at least start then the another option is to get one of these:

This is a laptop to IDE adapter. You use it to hook up the laptop drive to a desktop as a slave to see if you can retrieve/copy and burn your data to CD/DVD.

It may be time to start considering a regular backup strategy. Unfortunately you are already at this point but i wish you the Best of Luck.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

HerbieDog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
              I've found this http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=352876 but I'm not sure if it's the correct thing. I've got the hard drive out of the laptop; it has two rows of pins, 4 in a square at the one end and then 43 others. I also have an attatchment that goes on to the 43 pins.

Any help would be much appreciated.