Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! I cannot install my new video card and my bios apparently are out of date  (Read 4762 times)

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I recently purchased a new video card for gaming because my old one went out.  When I tried to install the new video card it said that it did not detect any new hardware.  When i checked in administrative tools it failed to read the card as well.  So, after reading up on the card I assumed it was the card and purchased a new one.  I am having the same problem with the new card I bought.  My computer does not detect the new device.  I googled the problem, and read something about needing to update my bios that it could be the reason why I cannot install the new card.  Please help, I am at a loss.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    are you installing the drivers provided with the card?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I cannot when I run the disk, it says no hardware found.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      with the newcard installed, what do you get in device manager? any exclamation marks?

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

no i dont get anything

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com

So instead of something like this:

your getting this:

your being unnecessarily vague.

what do you have under "display adapters"?

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

no i do receive that page... i do apologize.  when i open it it looks similar to that.  It shows my onboard display adapters but will not show the recently installed one. But no, not xclamation marks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          how about "unknown devices"

Are you sure the card is installed in the slot properly?

Which card is it?

you could try checking the CMOS setup for options on your on-board video. you might need to switch a settings along the lines of "init display first" or another setting related to onboard video.

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ok you sort of lost me there not sure how to check the onboard video card for that but no there is no xclamation mark or anything along those lines.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            What type of machine?
            Which card ?
            What method are you using to install it ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ok I have a IBM ThinkCentre Windows XP pro.  I have Pentium 4 processor, 2ghz, 1.5gram.  The first card that was actually working but blew out was a ATI Radeon x1300.  The new card I purchased is a Radeon ATI 2400 pro, and the card I bought after that is a ATI Radeon x1650pro.

To install, I was uninstalling the old drivers then removing the old hardware, adding the new hardware starting the machine, then putting the disk in running the monitor off of my onboard card during all of this.  I would then run the disk that came with the manufactur, the disk would start then it would say "unable to find hardware pls make sure it is installed properly or check disk and make sure proper drive is located.

I have come to the conclusion that I really think the AGP slot on my comp is shot.  I think when the old card went out which I think it burnt out that it could have possible fried the slot as well.  I am currently looking into building my own.

I have some questions about barebones kits? Are they worth it or would it be more usefull to purchase brand new motherboard, chip, and memory.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              running the monitor off of my onboard card during all of this

there's your problem. you have to boot the machine from the new card. Windows will use a generic Video driver until you install the drivers.

Right now it appears that your on-board is "masking" the presence pf the new card.

melisha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks! That information has been the most helpful thus far unfortunately I am still having problems.  Once I installed the drivers for the card, and windows loaded the screen fade to black.... I then went to the website and downloaded the drivers from there still nothing.  Finally I tried to use the omega drivers and still nothing.  Any suggestions?