Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying an HP hard drive possible?  (Read 2731 times)

timothytech

Topic Starter

Starter

Copying an HP hard drive possible?
    « on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
    I have been told by HP that their hard drives have a factory installed bootable sector that can't be copied or cloned. They say I must use my recovery disk and build the new drive I wish to install by reinstalling all programs and updates. This is a real pain, of course. I am trying to find if any cloning software will get around this. If not, perhaps some software I could use to backup my original drives' programs and files, then restore them when I install the new drive. HP puts a basic Win X/P operating system back onto the new drive with the drivers needed for the computer with the recovery disk. (HP also puts two partitions on their drives. One is for recovery, and one is the bootable partition with the operating system.  HP does not have any software to copy their drives.)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Copying an HP hard drive possible?
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
    I have used Norton Ghost 2003 to Ghost HP systems with the Recovery Partition D: and had no problems. When creating the image I select both C: and D: and it creates a Ghost Image of it all. Never had any problems restoring back from Ghost either. This image however will only restore to the same exact computer. Some people try to use the images to clone and create a similar box. Sometimes it works, but most of the time unelss the exact same build it will crash with blue screen.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »
    I've never had an issue imaging/restoring an HP machine.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timothytech

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
      I tried using Western Digital's software called Data Lifeguard Tools. It copied both partitions. I compaired the drives, and they look the same, yet the new one will not boot. I guess I could try Norton Ghost, however is Acronis True Image better, or should I try a free program first? Again I have been communicating a lot with HP about this. They continue to claim it's impossible.  My computer is a Compaq/HP Presario SR1130NX. The drive is 160G. Thanks.

timothytech

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »
        You are right, problem solved. I downloaded a trial copy of Acronis True Image and it worked fine.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »
        Say, did you get back to HP? It would be helpful to know if they will stick to their story. Do you think the y are ignorant? Or did they outright mislead you?
        Thanks for sharing.  :)

timothytech

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »
          I did get back to them. They thanked me for resolving this issue, but of course never admitted they were in error. I think they were ignorant. I also suspect that English is a second language to them after trying to tell them what my problem was to begin with. :)