Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dual booting  (Read 6091 times)

Matthew Hyman

dual booting
« on: January 21, 2005, 12:30:35 PM »
hi guys,

i wanted to go linux but not yet weaned from  windows, :-/ so i wanted to dual boot my w2k machine with  rh9, any suggestions, better what is the right way to do this.?  ???

tinmanjohnny

Re: dual booting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:03:11 PM »
Been dual booting with WIN 2000 and Suse linux for awhile,now. Linux uses either LILO (LInux LOader) or GRUB/GRUB 2 (GRand Unified Bootloader) to load and boot. Problem is Linux wants to control the MBR(Master Boot Record)under Windows. Nothing wrong with it,just a pain if you decide to erase Linux,you have to rewrite the MBR so you won't get the option screen at boot. Best to put the Linux partition in a separate hard drive: saves time repartioning existing drives to accept new OS. If you are rally paranoid about hosing up your Windows,go to www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm : excellent step-by-step instructs on using LILO or NTLDR as your bootloader.If you want to use the WIN loader(NTLDR) you have download and install Bootpart.It is a utility for rewriting your Windows boot.ini files to get the dualboot options. Goodluck!

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:05:32 PM »
An afterthought: try a linux system that does not load to harddrive so you can get the "feel" of linux. Try Ubantu or Knoppix. It boots off the CD and doesnot install to harddrive. Runs off the CD so it's a bit sluggish.

gkaralunas

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:59:19 PM »
>You Said:  An afterthought: try a linux system that does not load to harddrive so you can get the "feel" of linux. Try Ubantu or Knoppix. It boots off the CD and doesnot install to harddrive. Runs off the CD so it's a bit sluggish<

I downloaded both & Suse also; burned them at 24x, then at 8X and the best I got was Knoppix re-write my MBR and crashed.  So give me a "REAL" answer, because I would really like to switch, but if I can't review the system, I'm not going to switch.  I'm a 55 year old Retired GI, ex-BBS System Operator, and know most of Micro$oft DOS, and I'm tired of the endless crashing of Windowz - but am thinking of just re-formatting back to DOS 6.22.  Unless - again UNLESS you folks can convince me to switch to Linux.

System Info:
HP Pavilion 6635 Pentium2
64MD Ram
10GB IDE HD - Boot Drive
CD - Boot
Floppy - dead
Ext - 148GB HD - doesn't know it's there half the time
ext - 48xCD Writer
ext - 3  1/2 Floppy (to make up for the dead floppy installed

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 07:35:46 PM »
Make sure CDROM is first device. Use Knoppix LIVE version. go to www.linuxpickup.com to buy CD for three bucks. Downloading .iso files is a pain,leads to errors and is too slow.Use bit torrent or jigdo files. Keep me posted on your progress. Linux is so much smoother and crash free.When you put the Knoppix CD in,and after all the preboot messages. you will see a boot prompt. Enter after" boot: " the following command :" knoppix lang =en" , then hit enter.You should be into the KDE desktop.Just mess with it. Disconnect your external HD .

gkaralunas

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:48:06 PM »
>>go to www.linuxpickup.com to buy CD for three bucks. Downloading .iso files is a pain,leads to errors and is too slow.Use bit torrent or jigdo files. Keep me posted on your progress.<<

I'm So broke I can't even pay Attention!!!

The Koppex CD crash's at loading KDE (just after it re-write's my MBR :-( ).  I would not mind it doing the re-wite if it would finish it's Install.  Re-Downloaded & burned a 8x to insure a error free iso.

As far as downloading 'iso' disks - I just installed via iso Open Office & SOT Office without any error.  My only problem is with the "Live" Linus trial CD iso's

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 06:03:46 PM »
What version of Windows are you running? If LILO overwrites your MBR, you may have to correct the MBR first before attempting reup. But Live versions do not touch the MBR. Are you getting the dualboot option at start-up? Also your RAM is too low. 128MB minimum for Suse,probably too low for Knoppix also.

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 06:16:31 PM »
I have Knoppix 3.6 and 3.3  as well as Live Suse 9.2 if you are interested. Free. I run the 3.3 version on other s PC's when they have Window problems to get into Windows. But like I said your RAM is a bit low.