Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting a gaming laptop...  (Read 2305 times)

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

I'm thinking of getting a gaming laptop...
    « on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
    Hello.

My laptop is 2-3 years old now and I can no longer use it for what I want to use so I want to get a gaming laptop.

I've looked around for gaming laptops, and they are either too expensive or I can find nowhere that sells them to the UK.

My budget is around £500 and all I want to do is be able to run games at a good frame rate with no lag, but also a laptop which would suffice for other things I use for a laptop (web browsing, IM, music/videos).

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I haven't visited here in a while, and please tell me if this is in the wrong forum.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I'm thinking of getting a gaming laptop...
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
    For £500, you won't get a laptop that can run any demanding games.
    What kind of games do you want to play?
    Does it absolutely have to be a laptop?
    What's your current laptop?

Welcome to the forums, by the way, and I'm going to move this to the hardware forum.

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
      My current laptop is a Presario C300, and I would prefer it to be a laptop because soon I will be going to college where I will need to be using a laptop.

One of the main reasons for getting a new laptop is being able to play RuneScape HD which doesn't work with my current built in graphics card, and also games like GTA 4, Call of Duty and other fps.

To run RuneScape HD, you need a graphics card of the same standard as a Nvidia GeForce 3 atleast.

It's not going to be for extreme gaming if that's the impression I'm giving.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
      GTA4 won't be playable on any laptop for £500, and I don't think any Call of Duty game, other than the original, would be playable either.
      Almost any laptop you can buy will be able to handle Runescape HD though, as long as it's not based on an older chipset like your C300.

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
        Ok, thanks.

Well as you're here.. any reccomendations for a good laptop which I could play RuneScape HD on well (as in, with a graphics card with better specs than the minimum) and also have MSN, mIRC and iTunes running with no/very little lag at all.

Still for under £500  ;)

ThrowingShapes

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »
          Is there any specific reason for it having to be a laptop?  Building a desktop for the same price would give you much better performace.

Runescape can be run on almost anything, the nvidia three series was introduced around March of 2001 (I think) so almost any inbuilt chip should be able to run it.

GTA4 for the pc won't be playable on any laptop with a decent framerate, at least not one that's out yet. (The new asus model may be able to when it's released but that's hardly relevent)

Call of Duty, although not very demanding, won't play well on laptops.  The graphics chips in laptops carry similar names as their full sized counterparts but are not as powerful.  I wouldn't expect to be playing this with acceptable framerates, especially not in that price range.

I'm not trying to steer you away from using a laptop for gaming, but they are often more expensive and less powerful than a desktop.

If you search newegg.com or an equivalent im sure any laptop in your price range with be sufficient to run Runescape, assuming these laptops aren't more than a couple years old.

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
            I need the laptop because I need to take it places..  :D

Thanks though, I don't think i'll be using a laptop for gaming then.  :'(

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »
            Gaming and laptop aren't usually 2 words i would use in the same sentence.
            Although there are some that are better than others for true gaming performance a desktop machine is the way to go.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

grumpyman

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
              I was considering the Dell XPS 1710 as I am also interested in a Gaming Laptop you can pick one of these up although second hand for around £500. What is the view of these.