Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I need to update Quick Time....  (Read 6028 times)

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

Do I need to update Quick Time....
    « on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
    I have Quick Time installed but when I go to open a video I uploaded from my camera I get an error box. It reads "Couldn't open the file video because it is not a file that Quick time understands". Do I need to upgrade my old Quick Time, and if I upgrade do I have to uninstall the old Quick Time first? Thanks......

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Do I need to update Quick Time....
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
    What is the format (extension) of the movie form your camera?

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:30:46 AM »
      Don't know what you mean by format. This is what happen, i sent a Kodak camera with a momory card to someone I know in the Philippines. They took pictures and made a few video clips to show me. We talk on Yahoo Messenger and she sent over all the pictures she took, I had no problem seeing the pictures in our photo share box. She sent me the video clips as an attached file through Yahoo messenger and I saved them to my documents. The videos have a Quick Time logo on them, I click on them and get that error message, even if I try to open them with Real Time I still get a error message. I have 9.0 messenger and she has 8.0 messenger, would that have anything to do with it? If she sends them in an email to me, would that make any difference? Thanks.......

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:19 AM »
      What operating system?

Go to the folder with the files, right click on one, go to Properties, and see what is the file extension.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
        Ok I hope this is what you wanted. My system is, Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, Intel Celeron, CPU. The girl who is sending me these videos her sysyem is, Microsoft Windows XP, Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2, Intel Pentium dual. Thanks for helping......

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
        Okay. Go to your documents, where the videos are, and right click. Go to Properties, and it should say what the file extension is. We need to know.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
          Ok did that, It saids nothing about file extension. It has, Type of file, Opens with, Size of video, and on the bottom, Attributes. I even tried to open with Windows Media Player but also got an error box that read, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Shandy

Intermediate
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »
            Go to the folder that these files are kept in and then at the top bar with all the different menu options... like; File - Edit - View - Favorite - Tools and so on... click the one that says Tools then click Folder Options then at the top there should be a few tabs, click the one that says View then go down the list that appears and make sure Hide extensions for known file types is NOT ticked.

Once you have done this click Apply and then OK then you will be back on the folder where the videos are kept but now the video you wanted to open will have, probably, 3 letters after the file name, we need to know those 3 letters. for example it may used to say "Videos" but now says Videos.avi ... We need to know the (.avi) bit... but remember it won't be the same as this example that's why we need you to do it :)

Shandy

Intermediate
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
              These files are defiantly retrievable with the right software that's why we need to know the file extension... All files have these and are usually something like Afile.exe with .exe being the file extension.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
                Ok did everything you said. The Hide Extensions box was ticked. I unticked it and click on apply, then ok. Opened the folder that had the videos in and they are still the same way, no numbers, no nothing, the same way there were before I unticked the box, I even rebooted my computer, but still the same way. Could it be in the way she sent them over, should I have her resend then again and see if they look any different? Don't give up on me, I'm going as crazy as you probably are.  ???

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
                Go to the folder with the files, right click on one, go to Properties, and see what is the file extension.
                Ok did that, It saids nothing about file extension. It has, Type of file
                What does it say under "Type of file"?
                It should say something like: Windows Media Player (.avi)
                In your case, it may be something different, so let us know what it says.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:08:27 PM »
                  All it saids is Quick Time Movie. It looks like a little white square of movie film with a blue circle in it and it saids movie. When she sent these videos, she re-named them so I would know which one was which. Did she remove what was originally under these videos when she re-named them?

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »
                  If she changed, or left out the extension while renaming, it may be your issue. That's why, we need to know what the original extension was.
                  Sometimes, just adding those three letters after the "dot" will make the file workable.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
                    Ok, I'm going to have her upload the videos from her camera to her computer again and send then to me just the way they are, not to change anything. I'll let you know as soon as she sends them. Thanks............

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »
                    We'll be here :)

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 05:27:14 AM »
                      Well guys, I had him upload the vids from his camera again to his computer and resend then without changing anything, still no numbers. The only thing that shows under the video clip when he sent them with only the numbers in which the videos were taken on his camera. There are three vids and  the numbers come over as, 100_0200.MOV, 100_0201.MOV, and 100_0202.MOV. These are the only numbers that show up under the videos. Is he uploading them right? He's doing this by taking out his memory card, putting it in a card reader, then taking these vids off the card reader to the computer. Should he upload these vids off his camera using a USB cord from the camera to the computer, would that make a diffrence? Should I have him try sending them over as an attachment in an email? We are sending them through Yahoo messenger, he has 8.0 and I have 9.0, does that have anything to do with it?

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
                      .mov files should play with no problem. It doesn't matter, which way they're sent.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 06:19:47 AM »
                        Tried to open the videos again and got same error message. ERROR 2048-Couldn't open file 100_200.MOV because it is not a file Quick Time understands. I just got done fixing a Vundo trojan I had. From the log report from Hijackthis, a guy on this site told me to check a lot of boxes in the log to fix or delete them. Do you think we deleted something that I needed to open these videos files. Could it be I'm missing some kind of software? I notice that after the Vundo was fixed that I couldn't open a lot of things, even things other people sent me in emails. It wants me to download and run a Registry scan. This is how I caught the Vundo in the first place, should I run a Registry scan?

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »
                        See, if VLC Player will open those files: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/