Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Free AVG virus protection  (Read 4023 times)

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Free AVG virus protection
    « on: January 07, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
    Hello,
     Briefly , I have a elderly friend who uses a pc to keep in contact with her children, who's children  is scattered to the winds, and has free AVG on her pc.. one of her children put it on her pc, before leaving the country but never explained anything.. hasn't a credit card and doesn't want one to get other virus protection..
      I have McAfee, myself, and usually scan the system once a week, she wishes to do the same but is not aware of AVG procedures.. I told her I would help her all I can...Was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with Free AVG and knows the steps to do a virus scan on the system????? don't wish to download it just to find out the steps..
      Would appreciate any assistance..
    Thank You,
    Larry

Peter77

Rookie

Re: Free AVG virus protection
      « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »
      I just purchased avg 8 they do not support the free version anymore and will not support the paid version of avg 7 very soon hope that helps

JohnDDent

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
        Hi,

I find "Avira" easier to use than any other. On the opening screen select "Scan system now" listed at "Last complete system scan"  If you don't want a complete system scan under "Local Protection" select what you want to scan. That's it!  PS. It's free.

For the more sophisticated user I suggest A-Squared Free which has the highest return of malware infections found, even higher then the paid Kapersky.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
          Hello,
           Sorry about the delay in responding have been away for a time.. I appreciate the feedback everybody.. I have went ahead and downloaded AVG Free 8.0 on the laptop and gathering info and working with my friend to help her..
            One other thing, I got three replys supposedly from Computer Hope members that I thought was more input but turned out to be spam.. just wanting to let you folks know.. tried to tell Computer Hope..
            Again, thanks for all the assistance, truely appreciate it.
          Larry

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
            One other thing, I got three replys supposedly from Computer Hope members that I thought was more input but turned out to be spam..
          Ok, can you please report the spam messages to Admin. There should be a link under the Personal Message.