Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ClearType and Yahoo  (Read 2890 times)

vorpal86

Topic Starter

ClearType and Yahoo
    « on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »
    Hello folks. I've been trying to find out why yahoo messenger (v9 and previous version 8 as well) wants to display my text into cleartype after I've sent a message. The typeface is normal until I send the text. I had another program do the same thing.. Yahoo messenger dosen't have any settings to turn off cleartype. I Computer HOPE it's not built-in to the application, but would be weird cause it wasn't displaying cleartype before I had the problem.

Anyone had this problem? I'm using a crt and cleartype doesnt look very good and it's bugging me to craziness. I should have figured it out already but.. To no avail.

Truthisone

Beginner

Re: ClearType and Yahoo
      « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »
      Is clear type tured on or off in Windows? What version are you running?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
      How do you know ClearType is causing that, rather than Yahoo messenger, itself?

You could try the online ClearType Tuner.  I know ClearType is not really intended for CRT monitors but I find that it improves text on my CRT monitor.

vorpal86

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
        I think it might be yahoo yeah, but there is no way to turn it off. I do not have cleartype enabled. It only shows up in yahoo messenger as far as I know. I have tried the cleartype tuner as well but it doesn't detect that cleartype is enabled.

I tried to enable cleartype, restart then disable it, but yahoo seems to still want to keep cleartype. I've almost got my new comp parts together and gonna reinstall windows after I build it. This comps going over to my gf and she'll have an LCD monitor so she prolly wont even notice.

EDIT:
        Nevermind. Yahoo uses Internet explorer as a piggyback so i had to turn off Cleartype in the settings of IE. Yahoo messenger is stupid.

Thanks for the help anyway.
        « Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:33:50 PM by vorpal86 »