Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "line-in" noise-re-posted as member  (Read 3415 times)

hopeIcanfixit

"line-in" noise-re-posted as member
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:34:05 AM »
I previously posted the following using without realising that I wasn't logged in.   I would appreciate it if no one would use the email address I provided since I would like to keep it private (did not realise it would be made public at the time).  

Thankyou

HopeIcanfixit

line-in noise/soundcard (grounding?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a fairly well known and expensive soundcard in my machine and it works perfectly well except when I connect anything to the "line-in" port in the back of it.  

Whenever I do this, no matter what kind of cable or device I use, I get humming noise which only goes away if I turn down the volume or mute the "line-in" option on the software mixer that came with the card.

I have followed all of the troubleshooting advice in the manual that shipped with my computer as well as all the troubleshooting advice I could find on the web site of the manufacturer who made the soundcard but none of this has helped.  

Neither of these manufacturers has  helped me because each one tells me to contact the other and neither of them want to do anything unless I first commit to spending an undeterminate amount of money for their assistance (which I cannot).

I spoke to someone who works at a well respected stereo shop and when I described the problem he told me that it was most likely the case that "something is not gounded".

I moved the soundcard to an alternate slot, tried connecting different cables and devices to the "line-in" port but this didn't change anything.  I carefully examined every connection on the motherboard with my eyes for anything that might look out of the ordinary but found nothing.  I also spent over  an hour searching the internet with combinations of the words "soundcard, "line-in", "noise", "hum", and "grounding" but found nothing that helped.

I have the latest drivers, and have checked for "device conflicts" (irq etc) in the OS's control pannel several times but found none. I ran all the proprietary diagnostic tools that were specifically designed and were pre-installed on my computer by the manufacturer as well as a diagnostic tool which was specifically designed by the manufacturer of my soundcard and which is included in it's installation cd.  All of these tools said that there was no problem whatsoever with any of my any of my hardware despite the noise.

Can anyone be of assistance?

Computer_Commando

Re: "line-in" noise-re-posted as member
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 08:37:50 AM »
...when I connect anything to the "line-in" port in the back of it.   Whenever I do this, no matter what kind of cable or device I use, I get humming noise which only goes away if I turn down the volume or mute the "line-in" option on the software mixer that came with the card....

A cable and no device will do this...it's normal.
Device out must be matched to line in or it will hum.

hopeIcanfixit

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:48:44 AM »
The hum only occurs when a device is connected to the sound canrd and not when no device is connected.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »
do you have the proper drivers......humming ......feedback......do you have mike attached to your pc....