Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not display anything!  (Read 2459 times)

johndal

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer will not display anything!
    « on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »
    Hi  a few days ago i took a harddrive out of my old computer and put it in my better 1 i dont reli no much about computers but i thought what harm could it do. When i finaly got back and finished puting the computer back togethor it would not display anything on the screen , i dont know if its my graphics card or what but if anyone has any tips could u please help. Btw i tried a diferent monitor and no luck.  :(

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Computer will not display anything!
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
    So it's the old computer that has the problem?
    How many hard drives did the old computer have?
    Have you checked your jumper settings?
    While you were in there you may have unseated your graphics card. Take it out and reseat it. Then do the same with your RAM modules.
    Do you hear any beeps when you start your computer up?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
    If that hard drive has a version of Windows on it that's newer than WinME then you have answered your own question...
    It probably won't boot as it's looking for the hardware from the machine Windows was installed on.
    As long as you haven't forced the issue your hardware is probably fine,
    Wipe the drive and use it as a slave drive for extra storage.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johndal

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
      Yes its quite an old dell i put old drive back in and still will not display anything it does not make any noise and im quite worried. All the fans the disc drives open i can hear sound from the hardrive and i know it is not the processor becuase i felt it warm up with a tip sum1 gave me. i realy desperate now as im new to all this can sum1 tell me how to clear the jumper settings or what they r lol

scrolljoe

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

Something's not clear here : Did you or did you not have a display in the old Dell ?
        Spinning fans mean very little...correct voltages mean quite a lot more.
        Don't start sweating. Give a bit more details as to the age and specs of the mobo.
        Did you get any beeps .
        In the mean time , get a white eraser and gently rub the contacts of the ram,
        video card and Hard drive [ rub in the direction as if cleaning a comb -not across ].
        Again .. A-White -Eraser. Blow out the slots and reseat firmly the Videocard and Ram . We'll brainstorm the problem. :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
        Put the original drive back into the machine you are fooling with and it should boot properly...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johndal

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
          the computer is a dell dimension 4550 i put the old drive back in and itr didnt work still , did not hear any beeps or sounds and stilll cant   ?