Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: winup2date.dll adware uninstall  (Read 15408 times)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: winup2date.dll adware uninstall
    « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 03:41:54 PM »
    aclambert....Ok , I been through your log again .....and several questions occur to me .
    Are you using Dialup service or Hispeed ........?  The reason I ask is that I see indications that you are using various tweaking apps for some reason ........Is this because of some problem you have been having ?

I also see that you seem to be using AOL as well as Compuserve ...and am wondering why ?

What ISP are you using ?

I also note you are using search assistants .........Why ?

I also notice you are using realplayer .......Do you really use it or is it just something you D/L ?

I also notice that you seem to be using Giant antispyware as well as M/S antispyware Beta .....( If you purchased Giant and its still current .......keep it ......if not uninstall it ...........M/S has recently purchased Giant software )  M/S Antispyware is pretty much the same and will remain free ( according to M/S) .

Do you have a good registry cleaner ?........I dont see one . If you don't have one ....Email me and I'll send you a decent one. ( I dont know if you know it , but when ever you install proggys .......and remove them ......little bits are still left in the registry . )

Now then ........lets get started again.......
    close up everything that open ......so your just at the desktop.
    Now .......click....start/All programs /accessories/system tools /system restore ..........now when system restore comes up ...click on system restore setttings.......when that window opens .......put a tick in shut off system restore on all drives ....click apply and ok ...... Close up that window and go back to desktop.

Next ........reboot into Safe mode ........( press F8 key repeatedly as its rebooting and then select SAFE mode .....when in safe mode ......go to control panel /Add/Remove programs and carefully look at each program listed there . If there's any you no longer use or any odd looking toolbars listed .......remove them .

Next .......while still in safe mode ....run Norton Antivirus ( delete anything it finds )
    Next run spybot search and destroy ......remove anything it finds.
    Next run Antispyware Beta .....remove anything it finds.
    Now reboot again back into SAFE mode again ........
    open the task manager, Ctrl/Alt/Delete  and shut down .......  C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

Next run hijackthis and mark for removal the following ......

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {CA0E28FA-1AFD-4C21-A8DC-70EB5BE2F076} - C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\SskBho.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 2] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 2] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe

**Note there are 2 entries of surfsidekick 2 ****

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\neoteris\secure application manager\gapsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\neoteris\secure application manager\gapsp.dll
    O16 - DPF: {4CC35DAD-40EA-4640-ACC2-A1A3B6FB3E06} (NeoterisSetup Control) - https://remote.ebglaw.com/dana-cached/setup/NeoterisSetup.cab

Ok ....now click fix marked ........

Now reboot back into normal mode and  go to my computer C drive programs ........Delete the folder SurfSidekick 2 .....
    Delete the folder ....... Viewpoint
    Empty the recycle bin

Go to Windows update and D/L and install any critical updates.
    Don't turn system restore back on until you are rid of the pests.

It might be a good idea to print this list out and use it as a checklist so you don't overlook something .

Let us know

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 03:50:49 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

aclambert

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »
    Wow!  First I am switching over from compuserve dial up to sbcyahoo dsl w/in the past two weeks.  I plan on keeping CS until I get all my e-mails straightened out.  I don't know what "tweaking apps" you are referring to but I also have a citrix connection I use for work.  that connection is ebglaw related.  I use to have a separate dial up but know access thru my isp.  I see some reference to aol in the HIJack file but don't know where to get rid of it.  I have no need for aol at all.
    Also, pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a search assistant is?

I got rid of real player as I use windows media primarily.

I don't know where Giant antispyware is and have never used it but it does not show up on the programs to uninstall.

I used to have a registry cleaner on my old machine.  Is CCleaner not a registry cleaner?
    I deleted Viewpoint manager and viewpoint media player from my computer.  I haven't done the other things but I will this evening.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »
      aclambert....This is what CCleaner is supposed to do ......
      CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization tool. That removes unused and temporary files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster, more efficiently and giving you more hard disk space. The best part is that it's fast! (normally taking less that a second to run) and Free. :)
      I would suggest a dedicated registry cleaner as opposed to what you are using ........It may deal with a lot .....but it doesnt home in on the registry .......

AOL .......
      run  hijackthis and mark for removal .......
      O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

Now lets do a manual cleaning of the registry for AOL .

Click start / run ...in the run box ... type regedit and then click enter
      When the registry editor opens .....click on edit , then click find ...... in the find box type AOL  and press find.
      if there are entries ...you will be taken to them and the entry will be hi lited ......( make sure its aol and then right click and delete.) now go back and repeat the search again and keep deleting the entries until you get the message that there are no matching entries in the registry....... now just exit and carry on .
      Be sure and backup the registry ...just in case you delete the wrong item .
      If you want a good registry cleaner let me know and I'll send you one .

Let us know

dl65

aclambert

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:22:07 AM »
      I did everything except the regedit stuff ( i don't know how to back up and it made me nervous) but I still get the 010 lines in my hijack logfile (which hijack cannot fix) and the same adware when I run spybot.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 11:57:54 AM »
        aclambert.....This issue is becoming a real challenge .....
        Here is info on SurfSideKick  ....with detailed manual removal instructions ........ http://www.scanspyware.net/info/SurfSideKick.htm  ......
        the removal info is down the page .

According to what I read it is residing in the registry .

Are you sure that you are displaying the hidden files and folders ?  

Click Start.

Open My Computer.

Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
        Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
        Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

Qoolaid manual removal .....

The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.

Update the definitions.
        Restart the computer in Safe mode.
        Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.QoolAid.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To update the definitions
        To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.

2. To restart the computer in Safe mode
        Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."

3. To scan for and delete the files
        Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.
        If any files are detected as Adware.EnergyPlugin, click Delete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, note the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know if you have any success.....

aclambert

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »
        I have done all of this stuff, even the rgistry stuff ( I would like a registry cleaner though.  I believe I now have too much protection on my puter.  The dsl has slowed to a crawl.  However, I have gotten rid of the surfsidekick - Thanks.  The winup2date.dll cannot be fixed by Norton nor can it be deleted in Explorer (the first thing I tried).  A message appears re: it is in use etc and cannot be deleted.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 05:20:26 PM »
          aclambert ......Progress .....thats good .......If your on DSL now have you tested your D/L speed ? Heres a link to a test site ..... http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
          This one is good ....... free up to 3 times per month .....
          Check you instant message re registry cleaner.