Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista and don't know what to do  (Read 3136 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Vista and don't know what to do
    « on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:18 AM »
    My hard drive died last week and I had to get a new computer.  I now have Windows Vista and had XP.  The guy that does all my computer work built me this new one and tried to get as much info off the old as he could.  Lucky for me he got all my Webshots as that is one of my favorite programs.  I had to download Webshots program again and when I did, all my pictures I had on old computer went right on to Webshots, which I thought was so cool (I am computer stupid, so that amazed me!). However, the problem is that the picture does not show up on the whole screen.  There is a black band at the top and bottom about an inch and a half wide.  I have changed every setting I can find and still cannot get it to show up on the entire screen.  I have not changed monitors, just the computer.  I have Webshots set to fit the screen and I have Vista set to fit the screen.  Does anyone have any solutions?  I know I'm being fussy about this, but I want it to cover the whole screen like it used to.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Vista and don't know what to do
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
    Is the screen resolution on new computer set to the same numbers as on old computer?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »
      I don't remember what the old one was set on, but I believe it is the same.  I wish I could tell you more.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »
      OK.
      Right click on desktop, click "Personalize", then "Display settings". What resolution is listed?

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to:
      C:\Users\your_name\Documents\Webshots Data\album-xxxx
      Right click on any picture listed in right pane, click "Properties", then "Details" tab.
      What numbers are listed under "Dimensions"?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
        My Display settings is 32-bit

When I went to the Webshots Data and right clicked then clicked on Properties, all I got were four tabs that said General/Sharing/Security/Customize.  The Customize was only to customize a folder.  There was nothing listed called Dimensions.  I right clicked on the Webshots itself, and on the photo, same thing came up.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »

When I went to the Webshots Data and right clicked then clicked on Properties

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
          Okay - sorry - Display is 1024 by 768 pixels

The other thing you showed me about how to get info off of Webshots Data, I don't have anything that pops up and looks like that.  Just General/Sharing/Security/Customize.  And believe me, I clicked on EVERY Webshots thing I could find and never came up with that.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »
          Look at my picture again.
          Do NOT right click on Webshot folder, but on ANY PICTURE (!) file in album -xxx folder (RIGHT pane).

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
            I did click on a dozen pictures in the right pane and still continued to get the window that said Genera/Sharing/Security/Customize.  Nothing else.  Sorry - my version of Vista doesn't have that.  I have the Basic Edition if that means anything.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »
            Attach one of picture file in your next reply. Must be under 256 KB.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »
              I don't know how to do an attachment from that file.  I tried with the Additional Options below this posting page and it must not be one of the type that is accepted here.  I'm so sorry - I know I'm frustrating you.  I did tell ya - I'm REAL computer stupid.

Unfortunately I have to leave.  It's 2:15 here in VA and since everybody's got to believe in something, I believe I'll go to bed!  Must get up and go to work in the morning.  (Since I type manuscripts at home, at least I can stop for a quick nap!)

I truly appreciate the help you are giving me and I will check back tomorrow to see if you have any "instructions" I can try.

I really, really thank you for trying to help me.

Debby

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »
              I tried with the Additional Options below this posting page and it must not be one of the type that is accepted here.
              What is the extension of the file, you want to attach? .gif, .jpg, etc...?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
                Hi - Glad you're still willing to help.  The images are jpg. However, I got on Webshots Support and looked through the questions people have asked and it says the pictures are specially encoded so you cannot use them elsewhere, and it also said that their software is not able to support widescreen.  They stated they did have a stretch feature but discontinued it as it made the pictures distorted.  So maybe having to download the program again caused my problem of the pictures not taking up the whole screen.  And it does seem funny that when I click to download a picture, there is a place to click on for widescreen, which I do.  But they say their program is for standard monitors.  So I guess I just have to deal with it as it is.

I do appreciate your help.  If I missed something in what I read from Webshots and you know of a way to make it fit the whole screen, I'll try again.  If not, a million thanks to you.  You were really patient and helpful.

Debby

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 11:13:52 PM »
                Yeah, you're right. I didn't think about wide screen issue.
                I use Webshots as well, but when I got wide screen LCD monitor, I stopped downloading pictures from Webshots, because of the very same issue.
                Instead, I'm using this site: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/downloads/date/any/
                Beautiful, wide screen wallpapers, and free.