Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel help  (Read 2136 times)

EarlW

Excel help
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that is used for some trends on fuel and gas usage where I work.  Some cells in the spreadsheet use formulas that invole the IF function.  If the test is true, then the number in the cell is referenced. If it is false I need to enter a blank cell so that it will not trend as a zero on the trend page.  Everything I've tried will give me a result that is read as a"zero" on the trend page.  Is there a "sign" that can be used to give a blank cell reference?  One that won't give me a zero in the cell?

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
    Re: Excel help
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
    what should the cell read as the out put at the end??
    your questions kinda vague? i don't know if i have the answer but I'll try. I just need more information.

firstly what do you mean by referenced... does it spit out an invoice number or something. and if its true? i need to know whats true hat are we testing here.

are we testing that the fuel used match's the amount missing or what...??? and what do you want it to say if its false there probably a false option that can be added to the formulae to have a standard "quote" of calculation added.
    Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    IIf(Expression,TruePart,FalsePart)

I don't know which side you want to return as blank (rather then zero) but you could try an empty string "" instead of a cell reference.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EarlW

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
    OK, here's what's going on:  Every day I enter numbers on my spreadsheet, and they are subtracted from yesterday's numbers to give me fuel used, water used, product made, etc,  I've set the whole year up, and so if we enter a number for say Jan 17, it will subtract it from Jan 16 like it's supposed to.  However,  Jan 19 will subract from 18 and give me a negative number for the 19th.  I fix this with an if function and if the cell is at or below zero, it will return a 0.  Now I have a list of zeros in all my dates not used yet, and these are being trended on the chart as zeros, for the rest of the year.   If this test could return an "empty" cell, then the chart would not see it and I wouldn't have the line of zeros from Jan 18-Dec 31. I've tried the " ", and even though the cell appears empty, it will chart as a zero.  I've also tried the options tab on the chart window to try and tell not to plot/not plot empty cells, but I need empty cells.  Does this help with my situation at all?