Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor External Drive USB problem, the enigma machine  (Read 4136 times)

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Maxtor External Drive USB problem, the enigma machine
    « on: January 18, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
    I won't go back over signs and symptoms but check the posts below and if anyone has a clue send me a hollar. At this point I am left with the only option of phoning the company again and/ or being resigned to the fact that the Maxtor OneTouch doesn't work with all computers (would be acceptable if I had a Twiddle-Dee-dum Comp Corp computer but this is a HP running XP). Given that Maxtor was firm in blaming the USB I don't imagine much support but I will try. Wanted to throw the question out to the enlightened (computer) rogues who may have encountered the problem previously and I would like to know if any out there have the same problem left unresolved. Thanks to all in advance.

Laska

Intermediate

• Tisn't the Spring Lovely
      Re: Maxtor External Drive USB problem, the enigma machine
      « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »
      Yessss Hmmmm I also have an HP only Vista. external HDD maxtor and Seagate both worked @ 3 mo's then locked up the whole machine, when powered back up they were scrambled also no recognition in disk mgr. I always suspected the USB as the performance capability is not there and the OEM websites all say "Oh Well they're only really meant for back up anyway.  There is something wierd about HP's slow USB and the way other devices work too, like more than 1 flash drive at a time. The best Ive found is just use internal HDD's
      Max Wurl Ebus Pax Eterna  A Long Life Is God's Way Of Punishing Miserable People.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »
      How does the Maxtor show up in another machine ? ?
      I would return it for a replacement...it could have been DOA out of the box...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
        Thanks all much for the input. As Laska mentioned I am waiting till the day the drive finally gives up the ghost but it has to this point in time been a great machine, used to transfer large MMORPG's and large programs from puter to puter. Great to take to work. It is flawless except with this one machine. Patio, on the other machines I get the standard desktop icon and toolbar icon, functions well, I get a drive letter assigned and it is great. For the other machine it might as well be a brick on a string. No rhyme or reason.

mike453683

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
          Also, Laska, I don't always use HDD's because the material I save is so large that the programs, even when broken to components, are to large for a disk, and they don't seem to compress enough. That is the control factor put into a lot of items, keeps them from being "shared". I'll have to check out flash drives when I loose my patience with this machine and the poor support received.

Laska

Intermediate

• Tisn't the Spring Lovely
            « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:46:07 PM »
            Yup Yup Yup, There's something wierd about HP and external drives no matter what brand I always wondered if it was the slow  Bus speed but anything Iv'e used on a Flash drive has been OK for now
            Max Wurl Ebus Pax Eterna  A Long Life Is God's Way Of Punishing Miserable People.