Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The BIOS is freeze  (Read 2559 times)

tomgomes

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The BIOS is freeze
    « on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »
    HI
    I have a notebook Del C600 and the setup screen has seven pages. Only the first page appears and all commands are freeze. The Alt +P to change pages is inative and all othes comands in this first page too. What is going? What to do?

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
      Re: The BIOS is freeze
      « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
      Sound likes its for the worst, but you could try getting a copy of a bios update for the machine. and boot in to dos of window as required and update the system bios there an unlikely but small possability of corruption well it not imposable just rare.

The sofware you need should be available from the manufactures web site.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R41499&c=au&l=en&cs=&s=gen

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:15:32 PM by spacecat9 »
      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:45:53 AM »
      No -- DO NOT flash / update the BIOS until you are sure there are no other options!

What is this setup screen you describe?  Does it only come up when you press the delete key?  Does the system boot normally?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

tomgomes

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »
        at first thank  to all experts.

Aegis says: DO NOT flash / update the BIOS until you are sure there are no other options!

What is this setup screen you describe?  Does it only come up when you press the delete key?  Does the system boot normally?
        The setup screen is the fist screen displayed when we press DEL or F2. In my case, the key is F2.
        The Dell boot normally, An work well. I already repalced the memories, but the setup screen remained freeze. Why not flash the bios?
        What I could to. What are the other options

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:14:24 AM »
        Flashing the BIOS could easily turn your computer with setup page problems into an expensive brick.

please describe the symptoms more specifically. can you change any settings on the first page? when you try to move to another page, can you still move the cursor on the first or exit the setup menu?

I might also add that the BIOS image in the EEPROM is likely not corrupted, since there would be an BIOS checksum error when the computer is started.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

tomgomes

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »
           Does the system boot normally, but the setup screen is the first screen displayed when us press DEL or F2. In my case, the key is F2.

The Dell boot normally, and work well. I already replaced the memories, to teste, but, if I press F2 and it go to the setup screen the screen remained freeze and the setup screen has seven pages and the ALT+P to change pages don't work and all the menu option within the first page too.

You says: you says: I might also add that the BIOS image in the EEPROM is likely not corrupted, since there would be an BIOS checksum error when the computer is started.
          I ask you: What are the other options?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
          How old is it? Is it under warranty? Still supported? If so- Dell could probably give you some support.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

tomgomes

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:40:23 PM »
            Dear BC_Programmer. you says: How old is it? Is it under warranty? Still supported? If so- Dell could probably give you some support.
            god good god. And I that never know about this? and look, i saw the user's guide.
             And you , expertise, has something special and fenomenal to put here?
            thank you for your help

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
            Dear BC_Programmer. you says: How old is it? Is it under warranty? Still supported? If so- Dell could probably give you some support.
            god good god. And I that never know about this? and look, i saw the user's guide.
             And you , expertise, has something special and fenomenal to put here?
            thank you for your help

You know what ? ?
            You are the one here looking for help.
            And all you can do is snipe at people ...
            Your refund check is in the mail...have a nice life.

Topic Closed.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "