Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows start-up error re: windows product activation. error code 0x80070005  (Read 12009 times)

halcyon10

Topic Starter

Starter

righto.

ive been running xp on this computer for about 3 or 4 years with no problems. i went away for a year and didn't use it. so i get back and i figure i'll update all the virus checkers and what-not. all is ok. the computer was then left for 2 days until i tried to restart it yesterday. no joy i get this message before any icons or the startup apps get rolling:

windows product activation

a problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. error code 0x8007005

neither me nor the admin can logon. grrrrr!. hmmm so i try safe mode with networking. that's all good so i do some browsing online. some guys have 'similar problems' but not quite the same until i find this one:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=73401.0

i've followed the steps listed there and was starting to feel a bit confident but now its 4am and its been hours now and still haven't had any joy!!

slight differences exist between my prob and the other post. on that board reply #7 is different for me i have no files missing, i have the 3 files #18 mentions .bin .dat and .sig (oembios)

i also ran the link from #5 ( http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/81914/jsi-tip-8521-you-receive-a-problem-is-preventing-windows-from-accurately-checking-the-license-for-this-computer---error-code-0x80070002-on-your-windows-xp-computer.html ) but i found no event id 64005 and indeed no Windows File Protection event sources listed in event manager after filtering the results. there were lots of other errors though, most regarding avg's failure to connect to the internet for some reason. (more details if you need them!?)

i have now completely uninstalled avg and tried to update it to the new version after it failed to update itself (the software i mean not the virus definitions files). surprise surprise it wont work because i am in safe mode (the only way i can get the computer to work) after i attempted to update it using the software it failed. and suggested i completely uninstall and reinstall the new one, so i did....

i thought this xp thing would be a simple one but it's all going a bit wrong! i can put up some screenshots if it would be any help to anyone. im not worried about the avg install issue, it's just a blip, only the windows error matters. any ideas my head is starting to hurt.

oh yeah, its xp pro sp2

many thanks! J

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
      just call microsoft. i do directory assistance usually has the number or get it off the web site advice for such problems is free. i have rung the for the same problem they can activate it on their end..

hang on ahhh start up hmmm might be a bit differt but id ring. very freindly service..pose as a techi - but hey i think you are
      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)