Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: General Question about Dell's  (Read 6027 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
General Question about Dell's
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:11 AM »
Do the more modern dells use a SATA+Power connector (as in one combined data & power cable) in the CD drives?

The situation is that my grandad has a Dell but wants to but in a second internal HDD via the CD connection but it looks like Dell have a special Power+SATA connection.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
Re: General Question about Dell's
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
No one knows?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:06:27 AM »
If you mean that the connector currently available looks like the business end of the attached image then that's a fairly common type of combined sata data+power connector.

You could try the current connector in any sata hdd to find out if Ding Dong Dell has modified the conn.

[attachment deleted by admin]
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »
     I cannot comment on the most current Dell Desktop computers. However my Dell XPS WHL  (about 2004 vintage) has 2 SATA data connectors on the MOBO (no cables provided) and no SATA power connectors coming off the original power supply. I don't know if this has changed in their product line. An alternative to a SATA power connector is a 4 pin ide connector to SATA adaptor when no SATA powerr connection is available. However should that be a requirement a word of caution.The adapter will only provide a 5/12 volt availability. If 3 volt is necessary for the device it will not be available with the adapter configuration.truenorth

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »
    It's not the same as dusty's pic. Just looks like a normal SATA connector but the CD drive that it was attached to did not appear to have a power cable attached.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »
    I'm pretty sure the anwser is no but can anythng be powered by a nomal SATA connection?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
      Accessless, I am afraid i don't know what your last post is saying.
      Insert Quote 
      I'm pretty sure the anwser is no but can anythng be powered by a nomal SATA connection?
      What is the "no" you are reffering too? Again what are you asking when you ask"can anything etc" what do you mean?The short answer to the last is "no" only SATA devices can be powered by a normal SATA connection--but surely that is not your question? truenorth

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
      It's not the same as dusty's pic. Just looks like a normal SATA connector but the CD drive that it was attached to did not appear to have a power cable attached.

Are you sure you're not viewing a combined sata power/data connector?  How many pins does this connector have?

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:53 AM »
      Accessless, I am afraid i don't know what your last post is saying.
      Insert Quote 
      What is the "no" you are reffering too? Again what are you asking when you ask"can anything etc" what do you mean?The short answer to the last is "no" only SATA devices can be powered by a normal SATA connection--but surely that is not your question? truenorth

My question was: Can a device i.e. a CD drive or HDD, recieve power to operate from a SATA connection. I believe the answer to be no.

Better?

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:47 AM »

Are you sure you're not viewing a combined sata power/data connector?  How many pins does this connector have?

From what I saw (remember I don't have this PC in front of me) it looked like a normal SATA connection. Maybe a slightly thicker cable but the connector looked exactly like a normal SATA connector.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
        To the best of my knowledge 2 cables are required to service a SATA device.1.A SATA data transfer cable and 2. A SATA power supply cable. Due to the proximity of these connections on the hardware device HDD,DVD,CD etc. it is possible that the 2 required plugins may be combined on  one cable (but will still need to physically go into the 2 separate connectors on the device. I am still not sure what your confusion is about the "SATA connector"? If you remember that 2 things are required =data transfer  and power then obviously at data cable alone or a power cable alone will not suffice. There are a multitude of configurations of the 2 above cable options (including 2 different types of SATA ). It depends on your physical requirements (IE; whether a right angle plug is needed or not). The length of the cable to conform to computer attachment points. The availability of SATA power connectors from the PSU (a problem in my case--requiring an adaptor). I do hope i am being of some assistance but to tell the truth i am having some problem still trying to get a handle on what it is your trying to determine.Have you talked to Dell about this?truenorth

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
        From what I saw (remember I don't have this PC in front of me) it looked like a normal SATA connection. Maybe a slightly thicker cable but the connector looked exactly like a normal SATA connector.

Neither do we have the pc in front of us and we have never even seen it.

What do you mean by "a normal SATA connector"?   Sata drives "normally" have two connectors, one for data and the other for power.  The data connector has 7 pinouts, the power connector has 15 but both can be molded into one connector and still be interchangable between different Sata devices.   The combined connector is shown in the image I posted where both data and power cables are fed to the one combined connector.  This is also a "normal" Sata connector.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
        The drive may be in a hot swap dock which supplies the power...but again we have no details.
        There are no SATA drives that only have one connector that i know of.

However...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
        A normal data connection. No power connection found.

However?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
          Not something i am accustomed to admitting but---- i give up.truenorth