Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: floppy drive does not detect disks  (Read 2398 times)

tmm5899

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    floppy drive does not detect disks
    « on: January 24, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
    my floppy drive was working and all i did was install word 2003 and now the floppy drive does not detect my disks nor does it format them the operating system is windows xp pro. when i look in my computer it shows that it is there and when i look at device manager it says it is working. why does it not detect i have a floppy disk in it and why does it say it is working when it does not work i can not save anything on a floppy now that it does not work can some one tell me what to do to check to make sure that it truly is working i have tried several floppy disks and still nothing even brand new floppy disks ???

Hunter484

Rookie

• I soar free.
      Re: floppy drive does not detect disks
      « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
      I had a floppy drive a few years ago, and it stopped working too.  I assumed the drive broke.

Maybe that's the problem?  :-\

truenorth

Guru

Re: floppy drive does not detect disks
        « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
        tmm5899,From long ago and far away (AKA when i used to use floppies a lot). I had this problem. It turned out to be a change in the BIOS that stated something to the effect"this device is permanently disabled".Scary huh! However turns out it wasn't and could be unpermentantly disabled. Wish i could tell you how i did it. Can only say it can be done.Others may come along to tell you how to do it. I feel quite confident that is what has happened to you. goodluck,truenorth