Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus Help Needed - Trojans and other problems  (Read 3166 times)

liza205

Topic Starter

Rookie

Virus Help Needed - Trojans and other problems
    « on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
    I really hope you guys will be able to help me out. I'm not sure how I got infected, I've had malware/virus problems in the past few months but since I recently re-formated my laptop over the break I've tried to be really careful. Anyhow, the infections appeared after I rebooted my computer and my boyfriend was using my laptop last Friday. I have no idea what websites he went to, but a whole slew of infections have shown up and I'm not sure what to do.

Generally, it is just a lot of pop-ups. It seems to be more problematic in Internet Explorer so I do not use it. While running Mozilla Firefox, I get pop-ups of random websites every so often, which I just close right away. I've been using Avast as my virus protection and it warns me every so often of all the infections. My laptop is a Compaq Presario R4000, running Windows XP.

I tried to do a System Restore to last Thursday (where it says it is the "Last Known Good Configuration"), but after my system reboot, it said that the restore was incomplete and could not be done. All the other available dates were after the infections appeared.

I followed all the steps in the instruction post, and logs are posted. When I did the SUPERAntispyware Scan, the scan finished, but the program crashed and my system reboot before it could remove the problems. Let me know if there are any other details I can include. Thank you!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
      Re: Virus Help Needed - Trojans and other problems
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
      well the first step is always a systems restore. it returns you setting back to an earlyer time windows makes backup files so to speak. to do this

go to start menu select my documents / at top of my documents screen there should be a help drop down menu option. in the menu is the help and support option. in this menu half way down the page is the system resore option resore my computer to an earlier time.

choose from the calandar a date before the infection happened where there is a restore point usally a system chk point.
      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
        « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

here is the link

this expalins it better than me
        Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

liza205

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »
          Thanks for the advice. I mentioned in my post that I have already tried doing a system restore.

There was only one checkpoint available before my infection. When my system attempted to restore to this date, it said that the system restore was incomplete and no changes were made.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:20 AM »
          You say that SuperAntiSpyware crashed- can you run it again?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.