Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Is there a problem with HP 7950 and Service Pack 3?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Service Pack 3  (Read 3976 times)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

Service Pack 3
    « on: January 30, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
    I would like to update to service pack 3 but the buzz is that there are problems with HP computers but not sure if it is my brand of HP 7950 AMD 378 RAM

>:(thefonz
         Harry
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:32:44 PM by thefonz »

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Service Pack 3
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
      I have posted this question another time ago.  I normally turn updates off but I wanted that Microsoft patch and now the updater is on my back to put service pack 3 on.  But there is some problem with SP3 and HP and not sure just what.  And Lord try to email Microsoft about this would be easier to email and talk to Obama!

thefonz
      Harry :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:42:07 AM »
        CPU Properties:
              CPU Type                                          AMD Athlon
              CPU Alias                                         Thunderbird
              CPU Stepping                                      A4/A5/A6/A7
              CPUID CPU Name                                    AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
              CPUID Revision                           

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:06:02 AM »
          I read the report and I will stay away from SP3.  Even though there is a remedy patch with instructions that need to be executed to the letter and who knows it may not work and I am stuck with reformatting again.  I am 65 with hopefully controlling blood pressure and I really don't need the stress.  I have problems at times understanding instructions and would rather work with the SP2.  This is an old computer and it works well enough for emails and paying bills.

I would buy a new computer but my brother did and with all the problems he has with his Vista he says he misses his old XP, mine he gave his to me.

I will have to shut down the Windows update because it seems that the only updates it wants me to have is SP3.  I did get that patch however.

thefonz
          Harry :'(

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
          One option would be to create an image of the system as it is now using Ghost or Acronis True Image...then burn it to CD/DVD.

Now you can install SP3 and run/test it to your heart's content.
          If it has issues (which i believe have been solved ) then restoring your image takes 10 to 15 minutes and your back to the point where the image was created...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
            One option would be to create an image of the system as it is now using Ghost or Acronis True Image...then burn it to CD/DVD.

Now you can install SP3 and run/test it to your heart's content.
            If it has issues (which i believe have been solved ) then restoring your image takes 10 to 15 minutes and your back to the point where the image was created...

I have no idea what you are saying but it might sound like possibly a way to copy the xp operating system as it is now and save to a DVD and install it back into my computer if the sp3 download test is a failure.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:07:35 AM »
            An image is an exact duplicate of not only the OS but your entire drive...
            It includes everything and cuts the time down to a fraction of what it would be to re-install all of your programs, Windows Docs and Settings etc......

Very Handy...and worth looking into.
            There are Free apps that do this as well such as Macrium Reflect but i cannot recommend it yet as i have not had time to finish testing it as i'm testing on 5 different flavors of Windows.
            Look for something here in the Reviews and Recommendations section about this time next week.

If it passes the muster then you will have a FREE program that does what i explained.

I currently use Acronis...but it's not FREE.

patio.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
              OK, will put a hold on this until next Sat. or Mon.

thefonz
              Harry ;D