Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 6 year old Dell Dimension 4600 seems to be dead  (Read 2391 times)

Delltohell

6 year old Dell Dimension 4600 seems to be dead
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:41:31 AM »
About 3-4 days ago the computer was working fine, then all of a sudden the computer would boot up (Windows XP) and after 4-5 minutes the screen would get all garbled...and it would appear that the computer was locked up.  I was able to get the computer to reboot about 5-6 times with the same problem but now it won't boot up at all...nothing showing on the screen at all and instead of the "green" hard drive" light I get an "orange" one too.  I just bought a new IMAC at several friends prompting but would like to retrieve as many picture and document files from the old Dell as possible.  Any advice.  The only real upgrades were a replaced Power Supply about 3 years ago...other than that the computer has been great.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 6 year old Dell Dimension 4600 seems to be dead
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:37 AM »
Try reading Dells Advanced Troubleshooting. See below link.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/adtshoot.htm#1105380
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: 6 year old Dell Dimension 4600 seems to be dead
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
Get hard drive enclosure, or slave the drive.