Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Something changed the behavior of the desktop  (Read 10016 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Something changed the behavior of the desktop
    « on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
    Any and all open programs disappear behind the Start button ( tool bar ) when i minimize them and can't find an icon on the tool bar like there was a week or so ago. So now even Skype which pops up over all open windows when a call comes in remains hidden; i can access that program via the task bar but it's a pain trying to answer the phone when doing something else.

The vitals: XPpro Gateway laptop with Athlon 64 2 gig ram, IE 6 and Outllook Express six. All MS updates except IE7 which i don't like. Avira virus protection, Zone Alarm free, and i run spybot at least three times a week along with the full virus scan once a week.

Sometime last week everything started running sooooo slow that i couldn't close anything in anyway including ctrl alt del so i hard closed it. Then a blue screen appeared saying that it need to check things. That took 15 minutes or more. i think it was after that that the tool bar changed and can't figure out if there is a setting that i can reset to make it like it was. i did find one called MSVDM which put a few new buttons to the left of the taskbar but it seems to give me the opportunity to change desktops between one of four that i choose.

Any thoughts on what happened or how to get back those icons on my tool bar?
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Something changed the behavior of the desktop
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
    tool bar
    Taskbar?
    i can access that program via the task bar
    Task Manager?
    Then a blue screen appeared saying that it need to check things
    What did the blue screen say? What "things" you had to check?

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
      before i answer the questions you asked
      it seems that this answer that i had been working on while researching similar situations on a different browser page ( which as mentioned in my original post; will disappear to place outside the boundries of my screen if i minimumize it, so inorder to go back and forth i now need to make them half size and toggle back and forth between them ) Anyway, i must have been typing and researching too long and was asked to sign back in. After doing that i was presented with a blank page mentioning something about "where i left off" i typed in a few dasks and dots as a subject and a few words in the body and now it is up as a post of it's own. Go figure...

The "blue screne" that comes up is not the kiss of death blue screne although it is the same mono-chromatic color of blue with a full page of "checks" that the computer is going to do. My best guess based on it actually using the term somewhere in the process, is that it is scan disk if i recall correctly that was one of the tools that i used frequently in win 98. So as it goes through this process in numbered sections 1,2,3, and sometimes more, not sure how many but i'm think 4. It performs that task and the screne remains blue but you can see the progress in one way or another, either numbers rolling by or a progress bar. This has only happend to be 2 or 3 times since XP came out.
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:53:54 AM »
        tool bar
        Taskbar?
        i can access that program via the task bar
        Task Manager?
        Then a blue screen appeared saying that it need to check things
        What did the blue screen say? What "things" you had to check?

The terms that i used may be mac terms although mac used the term "menu bar" for just about every bar top and bottom including sub bars that are often tool bars as well.
        On a Win sys the bottom "menu bar" is a composite of many things. On the bottom left is the start button and on the right with the clock and calendar as an anchor is what i've been calling "the task bar" inbetween those two ends is what i also call " a tool bar " and it can be customized with a quick launch area that can be personalized, and in the middle of it all is a blue space that not so long ago would show how many browser windows that i had open and a seperate counter of wordpad and notepad were open so i could easily toggle between them.
        This first change appeared as only one counter that would group programs and you'd have to rotate the counter to come to notepad or back to IE.

If i right click on that "menu bar" i have a bunch of potions but not even in properties can i find something that looks or sounds like what i want to do.

Hope that explained the terms that i used in my first post.

There are too many words to remember them all and it wasn't like i had a choice to pass on this action. i also recall the word "volumns" somewhere in the blue screne experience.

Any suggestions as to where i can find out how to change it back will be much appreciated

IamError

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »
          I'm so sorry but i'm lost in what your talking about???

Can you maybe like upload an image of your problem i'm lost sorry.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

IamError

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 05:35:46 AM »
              I know what a task bar is.... I mean a screen shot of your problem because i'm lost in that.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:18:16 AM »
              Me too ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »

The "blue screne" that comes up is not the kiss of death blue screne although it is the same mono-chromatic color of blue with a full page of "checks" that the computer is going to do. My best guess based on it actually using the term somewhere in the process, is that it is scan disk if i recall correctly that was one of the tools that i used frequently in win 98. So as it goes through this process in numbered sections 1,2,3, and sometimes more, not sure how many but i'm think 4. It performs that task and the screne remains blue but you can see the progress in one way or another, either numbers rolling by or a progress bar. This has only happend to be 2 or 3 times since XP came out.

That was a BSOD. we need the text from that, if it appears again.

As far as the task bar- the entire thing is referred to as a task bar (merely for convenience purposes- we can't go around talking about the "start menu, quick launch, task, and clock"-bar-, contains the start button, Quick Launch area, the actual task bar , and the system notification area. Anything else besides those are extra toolbars, but aren't referred to as a toolbar, but rather by their name, such as the "address bar".

one possibility to try to restore your taskbar to it's former self would be to first unlock the taskbar, (by right-clicking an empty area of the taskbar and ensuring "Lock the taskbar" is unchecked), Then rightclick again, this time going to the "toolbars" option. Unselect all the options here except "Quick Launch".

Another method of switching applications would be to use the alt+tab key combination- this can make it easier to use the computer while we try to remedy your situation.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »

That was a BSOD. we need the text from that, if it appears again.

As far as the task bar- the entire thing is referred to as a task bar (merely for convenience purposes- we can't go around talking about the "start menu, quick launch, task, and clock"-bar-, contains the start button, Quick Launch area, the actual task bar , and the system notification area. Anything else besides those are extra toolbars, but aren't referred to as a toolbar, but rather by their name, such as the "address bar".

one possibility to try to restore your taskbar to it's former self would be to first unlock the taskbar, (by right-clicking an empty area of the taskbar and ensuring "Lock the taskbar" is unchecked), Then rightclick again, this time going to the "toolbars" option. Unselect all the options here except "Quick Launch".

Another method of switching applications would be to use the alt+tab key combination- this can make it easier to use the computer while we try to remedy your situation.

The picture that i posted is NOT what happens anymore. Those icon from the center of the "the task bar". Once someone other than myself can wrap their mind around what the problem is i would like to see how to inquire about the same problem with the best choice of words. Although the whole bar may be called "the task bar" the only place that i have ever experienced those icon "buttons" is in the middle of it. And although it may be incorrect i called one of the original members of the PC computer club that i joined when i went over to the dark side. He affirmed that we were taught in the SIGS that the part with the clock to the right was referred to in class as the "task bar" and that those icons were running from start up and eating resourses. But that was then and this is now and i can call it macaroni if it will help explain the problem. i have had it tocked and unlocked although i think you may be on to something because i mostly keep it unlocked. Before i lose everything i typed here i will post this and try the alt+tab to see if it brings up those other windows.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
                  No Alt+Tab doesn't bring back those minimized windows....i have no idea where they are or how to get them back. As i have been trying to point out; when i hit the minimize window i can see it disappear down towards the start menu

If i capute screne, which one do i do? basic desktop or one with browser up and running or two or three running but not minimized but half sized? Those should appear in the task bar like the picture i posted should it not?

What is on the blue screne as i also mentioned is a small novel of information....i would have to take a picture of it with my camera and upload it because i'd have to write it on paper then type it out again....hundered words or more is my guess. The only way to create it again is to try to overload the resources and force close it.

Let me know if you've got other idea's....i can tell you the options when i right click the taskbar.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

Best thing i've seen this Month ! !
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »

So Patio, do you know what's happened with my task bar? Until that feature is gone you don't know how much you depend on it. Working without it is like pushing papers aside on a real desk to get to the ones underneath; except on a real desk papers don't completely disappear unless the dog eats it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
                    Ctrl+Alt+Delete New Task... Explorer.exe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »

How so? Warranted... I forgot a closing parentheses. I have a habit of doing that.