Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformmating Sony Vaio Laptop  (Read 3831 times)

jesse

Topic Starter

Starter

Reformmating Sony Vaio Laptop
    « on: January 23, 2009, 09:57:07 AM »
    Hi,

I have a question on how to reformat my laptop. Let me give you the specs on it first.

Sony Vaio PCG-K13, Windows XP home 2002, Service Pak 3, 40GB hard drive(20GB C drive, 20GB D drive), 960MB of RAM, 2.80GHz Pentium 4

I'm planning on reformmating my hard drive for a couple of reasons. First. I have a virus or multiple viruses. One virus plays random audio on my computer. One virus causes pop ups. And, I'm not sure about this one but when I go to add/remove programs, the list has a huge blank spot in the middle of it. The tab on the side that lets you move up and down the list is about as small as it can be. I can highlight the huge blank space but can't do anything to it. Second, I have almost no space on my C drive and I'm running into problems with not having enough memory.
    So, I'm planning on reformatting because it would be the easiest way to solve these problems. I guess my first question is, is my assumption right? Is this the easiest and best way to solve these problems? My next question is, I read on the internet that my computer didn't come with a driver disk and so if I need to reformat I just hit F10 at start up and choose the reformat option. Is that true? I did hit F10 at start up and it took me to a different screen but I didn't choose to reformat because I didn't have my files backed up. I have everything backed up now, but don't want to jump into reformmatting my hard drive if I need a disk.

Thanks for the help,
    Jesse

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Reformmating Sony Vaio Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »
    You have two options:
    1. Read here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
    Start new topic here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
    ...to take care of the infection, or, if you wanna reinstall...
    2. If F10 takes you to reinstalling option, you won't need any drivers, because the laptop will be returned to its original state. Only your private data, and installed programs will be gone.