Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card not booting properly - doesn't function at startup  (Read 3904 times)

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

Video Card not booting properly - doesn't function at startup
    « on: January 23, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »
    Video Card = Nvidia 8600GTS - its about 2 years old

I've had a rolling issue with this card for awhile and wish I didn't buy it. However I've gotten by with its little quirks, but now I can't even get it to boot.

I turn on my computer, everything seems to be on and working fine but my computer screen doesn't come on. It goes from being on to power save mode, so I assumed the video card wasn't working properly.

I checked all the connections first, nothing was out of order. I turned the whole computer off and restarted the machine. Still nothing.

One of the things I did notice about it was that the video card does have power going through it. I know that because the fan is on. Usually boot mode for the video card goes like this:

1) turns on
    2) goes to full power on the fan
    3) goes back to normal setting on the fan

However, the fan keeps at full power. Not sure why this is. So all I know is the video card is getting power but the connection doesn't seem to be sound.

I check the wires, everything seems to be in order. I even switched out 3 different connectors to the video card, still nothing.

Any advice on my next step would be cool, I know this thing works just not sure if its salvagable.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Video Card not booting properly - doesn't function at startup
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:02:16 PM »
    Any advice on my next step would be cool, I know this thing works just not sure if its salvagable.

Many here would like to know how you do that. We have all struggled with video card problems and have never found an easy way to determine they are working when is seems like they are not working.

Most f us here do testing by substitution and replacement, as few of us have the resources to obtain use of laboratory and production test equipment for video. cards.  :)

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
      true, granted the only other way to test this thing is to either:

put it into the other computer I have or:

get another monitor to insure its the video card.

Anyone else who has ideas would be helpful

and thanks.

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
        don't have another video card with the size that can work with it  :(

Tried a different monitor, still won't work.  I even took out the ram to see if it was a post error, still won't work :/

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
        Have you tried taken the card out and reseating it? Also, can you boot into safe mode?

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
          I did try to take it out and reset it.  Didn't work.  I have two slots it can fit into and I've tried both, not working.  I also tried to use my monitor on another computer, and the monitor does work.  I also cannot get into safe mode because the MB does not have a onboard video card.  If it did this would be a bit easier.  However, I've done a few more tests and I just think the Video card just died and really there isn't anything I can do.  Warranty check and then buy another :P

Crafty

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
          I even took out the ram to see if it was a post error, still won't work :/

Well was there a post error (beeps) when you took out the ram? Also, I asked if you could boot into safe mode to rule out it been a corrupt driver.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:57:01 AM »
          I even took out the ram to see if it was a post error, still won't work :/

Well was there a post error (beeps) when you took out the ram? Also, I asked if you could boot into safe mode to rule out it been a corrupt driver.

Another thing...What wattage is your power supply?

A few websites say you need a minimum of 400W, while others say higher, for the OC edition ones modified by other companies, eg, BFG, XFX, ASUS...

If has been giving you issues all this time then it could just be that your power supply doesn't have enough output to give it the go, or is failing.

Try borrowing a power supply of greater or equal wattage and trying it then.

If a equal wattage one works fine, return it to your friend/other computer/store and get a higher wattage one, future proofing for future builds and hopefully solve your graphics card issue(s).