Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows hangs -safe mode options do not work --  (Read 9829 times)

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows hangs -safe mode options do not work --
    « on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »
    So after (4) years with apparently too much time on my hands, I decide to update some 35-40 drivers -- thinking maybe, response time will improve.  I go to the Sony site and down load all the recommended drivers for my machine.  VGC-RA940G

Following directions, I pretty much restart after each download.  The last driver I download, I restart and to my shere surprise, the machine doesnt!  (Restart, that is.)

It hangs -- the Windows screen appears and thats it --- 5, 10, 30 minutes later its still there. So I restart, (Saying to myself, I can handle this.) I press f5 and get the safe mode screen. 

I choose evey option available, and each one hangs; "Safe mode," "safe mode with networking" and "command prompt' scroll a screen of files then hangs right after the ____*.mup file.   

"Last known configuration" brings me back to a hanging Windows screen as does "start windows normally."

At this point I am getting a bit panicy.  Although I have an external hard drive, none of my data is backed up. (thump on the head) I start hitting any function key that wont give me the insideous safe mode screen and f10 gives me a "restore" with a warning telling me that all my #$%^ data will go away if I continue. (I am paraphrasing, as you may have guessed.) so I quietly and promplty exit that screen.

I call Sony technical support (and begrudgingly pay my 29.99) and, what do you know, after doing eveything I just did, she announces she cant help me -- (surprise, surprise.) So after dealing with customer service. defending and demanding ...well thats a different story, back to my real problem.

I do not know what to do next short of bringing the unit down to the Geek Squad and having them extract all the data from my machine and doing a clean install myself.

I believe I have enough computer knowledge to at least get my data off the drive and on to my external.

Of course, I cant find my original Windows disk.  So I ended up purchasing the Recovery disks for 17.95 from Sony -which includes Windows.  I wont be receiving these for another 5 days.  - I refused to pay 12.00 for expedited shipping. -- 

I would appreciate so much if one of you computer savvy people out there can give my some tips -- or what do they call it today? -- the down low (???) on how to handle this problem on my own.  I truly need to get this data back, all of it , if possible.

Thanks, B

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows hangs -safe mode options do not work --
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:44:43 AM »
    You didn't need to buy the recovery disk. When you press F10 at boot up, you access your recovery partition, which will restore your computer back to factory settings. That's what all of that-You will loose all of your #@&^$ data- was about.

You can place your hard drive in another computer in the slave position and recover all of your data. Then you can just put the drive back into your machine and press F10 at boot up to revert back to factory settings. That will format your hard drive and give you a new start.

If you have an IDE hard drive you will want to give this tutorial a look.
    http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
      Thanks for replying JJ

I realized today when I received the recovery disks, I didnt need them. and I am delberating on whether to do this or not - remove the hard drive and hook to another computer. 

The only other computer I have is a dell laptop from work.  I also have a lacie external hard drive attached to the sick computer. I went to the link you included in your reply, but I it did not give instructions for a laptop configuration, so like I said, I am a bit nervous about doing this.

The more i think about it however, it kinda sounds easy enough  -- the drive with my files on it acts like an external hard drive yet the computer I hook it to sees it as a slave and not the master??

But I would need more thorough directions. Can you direct me to another link.  I would appreciate it. I called best buy today and they want $99 for 10 gigs of backup and $159 over that.

Thanks again.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:32:06 AM »
      Did you try to boot up with the external hard drive unplugged?

Now that you have the recovery disks you can access the recovery console. Lets try doing a recovery before you take out your hard drive.

If you haven't unplugged the external, do it now.
      Boot to the CD and follow the instructions here
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »
        Top of the morning to you J

No I did not try to boot with the external hard drive unplugged.  I dont understand how that would help??  I only have data files on that drive.

So I read the article and I will take the plunge.  But not until later on this evening when I can devote my full attention.   I know you cant assure me of anything. (That wouldnt be fair to you.) But according to this article, I shouldnt lose any of my documents, pics, websites, etc.??

another question:  On the second page of the article,
        http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-1

after the first direction, before the 'section addendum note.' there  is a colon that appears with no text underneath it.  Is this deliberate?  Or are the directions in the following section. 

These are the directions I should follow to recover, correct?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
        Not sure what type of machine would have 35 or 40 drivers...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
        Unplugging the external will cause you computer a lot less confusion. It may even boot up with the external hard drive unplugged. Before you attempt the repair, unplug the external, and see if that lets you get into Windows. In fact, unplug all of the unnecessary devices from your computer - like your printer or any other USB devices.

These are the directions you should follow to recover:
        Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
        When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below   

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
           Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
        Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.  do not choose "To repair a
        Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R". 
        Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
        Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read  Warning#2!
        Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.  Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If that doesn't work, there are a few more options in the recovery console that you can try.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
          Hey J,

Just so we understand.  I do not have my original XP CD.  I did receive the recovery CD from Sony - We already discussed that. -- I am assuming that is what your were referring to....yes?

I can borrow a Windows CD from someone if that is what I need.

Just want to make sure before I dive in.

Thanks for all your help btw.

B

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »
            J...where are you when I need you?????

I am using the recovery disks that came with Sony.  The screen in front of me says: Reconfigure RAID and gives me 3 choices:

Restore C: Drive - This option deletes all files on the C: drive and retores the drive back to the original factory condition

Restore complete system- Use a set of recovery discs to return the entire computer to its original factory condition. This option deletes all files on the hard disk drive.  Use this option when the main hard disk is replaced after changing a a RAID drive array, or to remove or restore the recover dirve partitition on the main hard disk drive.

Reconfigure RAID-change or remove a RAID drive array.  This option may be need when you add or remove a hard disk from a RAID array.

No idea what to do.

I remember when I was downloading drivers a week ago, I installed an Intel® RAID Driver. Not sure why I did. I thought it was being recommended at the time, so I downloaded it.

I am exiting cause I really dont know what to do at this point.  Can we meet on a chat basis?  I see this site has a chat feature.

PS- you didnt answer my last post about the original XP CD.  I dont have it, but I can borrow someones.  Is that what I should do?

PSS-I hope you did not give up on me :(

JJ 3000

Egghead
            « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »
            I can borrow a Windows CD from someone if that is what I need.

That would be the easiest route to go.
            It has to be the same version eg.. home, pro, media center etc.

If you still want to do the repair the borrowed disk will have all of the files that you need.

You can place your hard drive in another computer in the slave position and recover all of your data. Then you can just put the drive back into your machine and press F10 at boot up to revert back to factory settings. That will format your hard drive and give you a new start.

If you have an IDE hard drive you will want to give this tutorial a look.
            http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

If I were in your shoes that would be what I would've done. I work on computer hardware all of the time and  know my way around inside a computer case. However, you might not feel as comfortable doing this as I would.

You should start backing up all of your important data to the external drive. That will save you from having to do this in the future.

Whichever path you choose to take, post back and let us know how it worked out.

Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:13 AM »
              Thanks J. You can bet I will back up all my data from now on.  I will take my hard drive out and try and recover what I can.  I will post back and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
                J

I took the computer to work and gave it to one of the tech guys...things don't look good presently in regard to saving my data I am sad to say....this makes me very anxious, to say the least.

It seems this RAID thing did more damage then either one of us first imagined.  I cant begin to tell you what it did, but my interpretation of the tech's response was that it split the data on two drives (one virtual?) and it looks as if one drive failed or at least that's what it is saying, but like I said this is my interpretation of what he said.  It may be somewhat incorrect. 

We do agree that it is highly unlikely a drive failed. It is too much of a coincidence that once the RAID driver was downloaded, the computer crashed.  Hence, they are directly related.

It may be he is not experienced with this type of problem and thought with the resources at work, it would be a piece of cake retrieving the data...this doesn't seem to be the case, presently.

I did find my original Windows disk, so that's good.  However, I am not sure it will help at this point. I am fearful about not retrieving my data.....there is so <censored> much!  Any suggestions I can get would be very helpful.

I think I will get my computer back and start from square one again.  Since I found my Windows disk, I will try the steps you sent me last week.  If that doesnt work I will attempt the slave suggestion everyone seems to be giving me.  Just wanted to keep you up to date...If you think of anything else, please let me know.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:07:16 AM »
                Slave Drive Tutorial

I would try this first if you want to retrieve your data...

MassArtMom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
                  ****Update****

Sent the drives (never realized there were 2) to DataRecoveryNewYork.com.  Just received a quote of $1800 to recover the data.  So after I freaked out, I told him to send it back.   He told me he would rework the quote and get back to me.

I am bringing it back to work.  Tech admin said they would take a look....I will let you know...

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
                  Would have been alot cheaper to click my link above...