Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS CPU problem??  (Read 2228 times)

EMUSR

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

BIOS CPU problem??
    « on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »
    Hello all,

I recently had some weird problems with my computer; it started about 4 days ago when it was not shutting down properly.  It would shutdown to the point where it’s at the blue screen and say’s “windows is shutting down” than at one point it was a half an hour and was still at that point.   It normally only takes about 1 minute to shutdown completely and now I was having to shut it down by manually holding the power button down till it was off.
    Than on start up I would have to turn it on (there would be nothing but the Power LED) turn it off (Manual Hold) than turn it back on and it would boot.  I ran every program I could think of to try and find a problem but nothing would come up.  I tried to look through my OS systems files but couldn’t find any files misplaced or missing other than a file that was placed by a Trojan (but that file was deleted months ago from that problem).

I noticed that my CPU Fan was not running although it was trying so I flicked it 3 times and on the 3rd try it started running like their was noting wrong with it.  When I power it up I get Power LED and about 1/10th of a second I get the HD LED, and no signal to my Monitor.  I have no beep signals, no hard drive operation, nothing other than the power LED and the Fans.  I tried to use the restore disc thinking I may have had a BIOS problem and it ran the hard drive and sounded like it was scrubbing the disc and when it was finished their was still nothing.  I shut it down and turned it back on and I still had nothing.

The only thing I can think of is the CPU being shot, although I can’t say I seen one burning up from heat before,  I seen them burnt from viruses or just plain ole carelessness from switching them out and not putting the Metallic goopage on.

Problem???  I have no backup of the BIOS and am wondering if the restore disc will cure this problem if I get a new Processor ??? the same one I currently have installed nothing fancy or super tech since this thing is outdated anyway I just want it to run.  If the Disc won’t do this for me what would anyone suggest I do??  Or if this may not be the problem anyway?? 

Crafty

Re: BIOS CPU problem??
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
    I wouldn't advise flicking your Cpu fan...LOL, I have never heard of anyone doing that one before. This post looks very similar to one that was made by someone not so long ago and the advice then was to try a different Psu.

EMUSR

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
      Yes, I seen the one your talking about and their is more posted now and it does seem quite similar in nature now...    When I posted they where slightly differant in diagnosis problems bun now seems like the same question????  Weird.....

Yeah I've been thinking about switching the PSU out but I wanted it to burn out first.  if it ain't broke don't fix it??  Sure!!  LoL  It's an Emachines and they are notorious for PSU's being powerless and going in a short time but all of the PSU's I've fixed in the past had a Barbecue Flavor and didn't even turn on at all but I'm going to try it for giggles anyway.

I flicked it because it was trying to go but didn't get the boost it needed I guess, I hope it's not a capacitor that took a dump, but their all good looking so that would really suck cause than I wouldn't be able to just rip it out and put a new one in.......

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
      If it's an eMachine i would consider starting a wish list for a brand new build instead of tossing any of my hard earned money into it...
      That being said if you invest in a decent PSU now for your new build you could kill 2 birds with one stone here...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EMUSR

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 07:11:24 AM »
        Well actually the older one's are crap but the newer one's are actually pretty good.  I've had more problems with my HP's than eMachines probably because DELL don't want to have a bad rep, even on their cheaper units.

I was going to build one but the sad fact is that when building one it's cheaper to buy multiple computers and gut them than it is to buy the parts..    Unless the prices have gone down???

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
        I just finished working on 2 newer eMachines last week and if they have improved things they haven't convinced me as of yet.
        The machines were less than 2 years young.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "