Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Initial Cold Boot Screen Resolution Error  (Read 2672 times)

Unimog

Initial Cold Boot Screen Resolution Error
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »
 ??? Hello out there!
On intial cold boot my system appears to load fine, however the screen resolution sets to 640 x 480. If I shut down and restart again the resolution corrects itself to 1024 x 768. If I try a hot boot the resolution does not correct itself. Any ideas as to why?
I've tried investigating the config.sys file and BIOS but I cann't see anything displaying an error.

I'm sure it will be something simple, but it's only easy if you know how!

P3 600Mhz on Wdws 98

Much obliged if any one can help! :)

merlin_2

Re: Initial Cold Boot Screen Resolution Error
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:22:58 PM »
run a test on the graphics card and drivers......type dxdiag in the run box........does your keyboard //movse play-up......also check the cable from the tower/desktop......to monitor....it maybe loose..*caution when playing with this option** esd**

Unimog

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »
Thanks for that.

Checked all cables; monitor is hardwired and screw fixed connector to the tower unit is secure.

Running the dxdiag shows a note on DX Media Files tab...file iac25_32.ax is a beta version, which is unsupported and could cause problems...
No problems found on any other tab. The test Direct Draw & Direct3D work fine.

Could the iac25_32.ax be the source of the problem?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38:23 PM »
what directx version are you using........have you tried updating your graphic card drivers.....

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
You can bet on this type of failure being due to a bad connection. If you have checked everything, reseated memory modules and call cards, it is likely to be a cold solder joint on the mother board. In that case it is non repairable.

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:48:52 PM »
OOOOPS! This not where I meant put this. Sorry!

Unimog

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:04:45 PM »
Direct X version is 7.0 (4.07.00.0700).

I have reloaded the driver from the disk in the past, but it has not made any difference. I think the driver is ATI2DRAA.DRV. I could not see ATI listed on the driver listing page?