Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nothing appears on monitor when computer is turned on.  (Read 2483 times)

Lee07133

Topic Starter

nothing appears on monitor when computer is turned on.
    « on: January 26, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
    Hello everyone.  i have a problem with my monitor not displaying anything or something similar.   Last night it was working just fine...but then i left it to my little brother to use and the next thing i noticed when i woke up, the computer wasn't turning on.  everything sounded like it works...like it's gonna boot...but it doesn't.  it appears that the monitor doesn't get anything, no signal from the computer.  I don't even see the logo display of my motherboard.  so i thought it might be a video card problem and replaced it with one of my buddy's.  it didn't solve the problem.  the other possible sources are the CPU or the Motherboard..i thought.  is there any way to check for sure before i spend lots of money on new ones just to find out that it's neither?
    I was reading through the topic, and someone mentioned about power supply.  can someone tell me the importance of the power supply and that it might be related to the problem as well?  besides the fact that it's required to power up each hardware.
    I would really like to get my computer back up and running as soon as possible.
    Thanks.

joevh09

Hopeful
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: nothing appears on monitor when computer is turned on.
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
    OK this may sound stupid but it might help- Since your liitle bro was one it you might want to check and make sure you power and input cables for you monitor is plugged in. There is a possibility that it could be you power supply.

jamer123

Rookie
    • long story of life and dont want to explain
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
    it might be the gpu from the sound of it

EMUSR

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »
      Hello Lee07133.

Try taking the Memory out and dusting the MoBo, put it back in and that should sulve the problem..

64Ways2Die

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
      EMSUR Thank you.. I had similar problem (after messing with ram) read this post, said Hmmm... I messed with the ram..took it out dusted it off as well as sockets and it worked! I was able to see my bios...now if only we had the password..it's a dell, Can I clear the CMOS by taking out the battery?