Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IDE Controller Card Problem - Hard Drive Not Recognized  (Read 2253 times)

Jimozach

Topic Starter

IDE Controller Card Problem - Hard Drive Not Recognized
    « on: January 27, 2009, 07:45:14 AM »
    Hi All,

Newb to this forum, but I am a fairly experienced user.  I recently purchased an IDE controller card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260349371229&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Install and set-up of the card was painless.  It is recognized as a device in XP.  My problem is that I can't get the drive recognized.  I assumed it would be as simple as plugging the drive in to the board and rebooting, but no luck.  My system is a P4 3GHZ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: IDE Controller Card Problem - Hard Drive Not Recognized
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »
    Empty drive or does it have data ? ?
    Used drive or new ? ?
    If new some drives are shipped un-formatted so it needs to be formatted before Windows will see it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jimozach

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
      Thanks.  It is an existing drive.  Unlike a recent new hard drive which is running off the motherboard's controller, which was recognized by XP in disk mgmt (then it had to be formatted),  the drive doesn't "appear" anywhere....not in disk mgmt, boot screen etc.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just don't know what!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
      Some IDE controller cards also have jumpers on them...did you check the manual ? ?
      Also how is the drive jumpered and are you planning to use it to boot from or just for data ? ?
      What brand card is this ?
      Some of them are junk...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "