Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to reinstall xp, but my cd drive won't run  (Read 4023 times)

capross

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Need to reinstall xp, but my cd drive won't run
    « on: January 28, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »
    Cliffs Notes: Computer needs os reinstall, can't install from any cd drive, tried multiple things before I posted here, but I am new at this.

Oookay..  here's a quick background on my situation..  I'm learning about computers and trying to get my A+  certification, so I got a second computer to work on.  It was free, cause it had no harddrive.  It's an AMD 1.2ghz, 512ram, now has a 10gig harddrive, an asus video card, and it's currently used to watch video on my tv.

I first installed xp sp1, and it ran fine, upgraded to sp2 and got half a dozen viruses(hello irony).  Uninstalled sp2, back to sp1 now.  I installed Avast antivirus(which seems to work fine on my "good" computer) and removed the viruses.Now, it freezes a lot when I try to load anything but a few .avi's .  And sometimes when I try to load windows and log on, the screen goes blank and the tv gets no signal from the computer(default on my tv is "unusable signal" if there's nothing connected to the input, that's what I see)

I tried to reinstall xp, but the cd wouldn't run at all, drive wouldn't recognize a disk.  Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, nothing.  I left the disk in and it ran after about half an hour(forgot about it), tried to install xp, but the drive won't run after the computer reboots.

I installed an old cd burning drive(tested in another pc) and associated drivers, doesn't run either.  Boot screen shows they're both recognized. 

I'm lost as to what to try next..

Any ideas on what to do?

Dias de verano

Re: Need to reinstall xp, but my cd drive won't run
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
    You could be finding out why the PC was free. You could try opening it up and checking that all cables etc are connected firmly and the RAM & video card are seated firmly.

capross

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:09 AM »
      Lol, I'm sure I'm finding out why it was free.  I've checked all of the connections, found that out the hard way the first time I tried to install memory on a pc.  My best guess is that it's a motherboard issue, but I'm not expert.  I'm hoping someone has an idea of what to do software-wise, before I throw in the towel on this one....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »
      Try and error can isolate some problems. Find another Power supply for some tests. A Power supply is cheaper that a mobo and CPU and a spare PS is always a good investment.

Lets suppose you know the CD-rom is good.
      Assume the HDD is bad. Remove it. Floppy too. 

Now get a good copy of a Live Linux CD. My favorite is Puppy. But any of the Knoppix based live-CDs will do.
      Any recnt version of Ubuntu is also good

If you can boot up the Linux Live CD, the mobo is good or mostly good.
      But if it will not boot up a Linux, CD, the machine is to be given to somebody you do not like very much.

If your XP install disc looks like it has scratches on it, wipe it very gently, make a clone copy with verify at 4x speed on a good machine. Sometimes that works.

capross

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »
        Thanks!  I tried a new ps, still have the same issues.  I'll try another hd as soon as  I can pick one up. 

I'll try Ubuntu, since it's been on my to-do list,  any specifics tips on how I should install it?  (Also, how hard is it to set up ubuntu to an xp network, so it can share files or browse the internet? From what I've read, it looks pretty programmer intensive, which I am not, yet.)

Thanks so much!

Try and error can isolate some problems. Find another Power supply for some tests. A Power supply is cheaper that a mobo and CPU and a spare PS is always a good investment.

Lets suppose you know the CD-rom is good.
        Assume the HDD is bad. Remove it. Floppy too. 

Now get a good copy of a Live Linux CD. My favorite is Puppy. But any of the Knoppix based live-CDs will do.
        Any recnt version of Ubuntu is also good

If you can boot up the Linux Live CD, the mobo is good or mostly good.
        But if it will not boot up a Linux, CD, the machine is to be given to somebody you do not like very much.

If your XP install disc looks like it has scratches on it, wipe it very gently, make a clone copy with verify at 4x speed on a good machine. Sometimes that works.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »
        What you should do if you want to test Ubuntu is DLoad and burn what's called the "live" .iso...
        This means you boot to it and Ubuntu runs from the CD drive without installing anything.
        That way you can test how it handles your hardware and connectivity etc. before installing.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:48:36 AM »
        Right!

Ubuntu Live is so easy you just stand across the room and throw the disc at the open CD tray, and if your timing is good, the tray will catch the disc, close and it will be into Ubuntu faster that you can get another cup of coffee.

Well, maybe that is a little bit of hype. It does stop and ask if you speak English. And if you are in the USA and can you read a map.   :P

capross

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
          LOL, I'll try the download and burn method.  But my aim is pretty poor, I'd probably shatter the disc if I tried it, so I'll just gently place it in the drive..

any word on how easy it is to network?  I connect to the internet through a router, to a wireless device on one computer, and then through a p2p to the "broken" computer. (so, I have one wireless device shared between two computers)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »
          any word on how easy it is to network?
          Yeah, it is almost spooky how it can look into another computer that Windows can not open. Ubuntu gives itself top administrative level accuse to everything!

capross

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
            any word on how easy it is to network?
            Yeah, it is almost spooky how it can look into another computer that Windows can not open. Ubuntu gives itself top administrative level accuse to everything!

Nice.  Now, all I have to do is get a dvd of Ubuntu.. Or a dvd burner, lol. sigh.