Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ancient Arche Technologies, CA made computer case with no entry?  (Read 2237 times)

Atrix_Loren

Topic Starter

???  Wow!  I thought I had seen it all!  This 286 computer case has no obvious screws or levers that I can find.  It does have a circular key locking mechanism that appears to be in the "unlock" position.  I need to get inside because the CMOS settings disappeared and so did the HD setting!  This PC is about 20 years old and is the brain of a Telrad IVM system we have.  Unfortunately it no longer has the instructions to open it up! :'(  Any help is appreciated!   Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ancient Arche Technologies, CA made computer case with no entry?
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
    Some systems use to have plastic faces that snapped off and then screws behind that to slide the case open. Most common was 3 screws for the 286 one in center and one at either corner of metal desktop case. Look at the face of this unit and look for plastic latches that hold it on. Should be able to pop the face off with flat headed screw driver... ( Only do this if you see an entry point for a screw driver and the plastic locking latches. I wouldnt start prying on any gap you find unless you dont mind breaking the face off.)

Also some generic boxes I came across had 4 screws under the unit, one at each corner, that had to be removed and then the metal lid would slide back.

HP and Packard Bell also had some with levers, but yours is not that make.

Atrix_Loren

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
      No such luck on the face snapping off.  No plastic latches to be found or screws underneath.  I checked under some of the adhesive boots just in case they're sneaky but no joy.  But you gave me an idea about looking for possible worn screw heads... :o  Hot tomallies in MN!  There was a lone screw in the back that did just the trick!  I'm back in business!  Thanks for the clues dude! ;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
      Pictures....we want pictures ! !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
      Pictures....we want pictures ! !

yes! Pictures good!

Wonder if it looks anything like my sexy 12mhz DTK 286 I had far too recently... (<6 years)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.