Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade my cpu  (Read 1993 times)

mkcollins

Topic Starter

Starter

Upgrade my cpu
    « on: January 30, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
    I'm thinking about upgrading my Athlon 1900+ cpu. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE. When I scanned the system it stated that the mobo was version 1.x. When I eyeballed the unit for model number, v2.1 was printed on the unit. I would believe that what is written on the part is the correct version, but sometimes..
    If version 1.x, I could only upgrade to a 2100 xp. If v2.1, I could go to a 2600 xp (266 fsb), that's 1.6 to 2.1 in speed.
     Is that increase worth it, do you think? If so, can I reuse the existing heatsink and fan? ???

pranav

Greenhorn

Re: Upgrade my cpu
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »
      you   are ok sir

mkcollins

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
        Does that mean I can get the xp 2600 and reuse the existing heatsink and fan? Thanx for the reply. ???

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
        You'll be fine upgrading the CPU, the number on the board will be correct.  the version number you saw using whatever software you used may be related to something else.
        I'm assuming you're talking about Athlon XP processors.  Checking the rated heat outputs, depending on the models there can be quite a difference.  What heatsink/fan combo do you have now, the stock one?  I'd recommend changing it anyway, to be on the safe side, unless you're using an aftermarket cooler that can definitely handle the new processor's heat.

mkcollins

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »
          Yes, I'm talking Athlon cpus. I was probably going to get the new hsf anyway to be cautious. The existing is probably stock. Thanks for the quik reply. I can get an order in right away. :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »
          You're welcome, hope all goes well.

Belated welcome to the forums, too.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
            « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »
            If I remember correctly, the Athlon 2500 barton core was a very good cpu for overclocking. If you are at all interested in overclocking, you may want to go with the 2500 instead of the 2600.
            Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive