Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME explorer.exe closes on startup  (Read 2369 times)

mickster9

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows ME explorer.exe closes on startup
    « on: January 30, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »
    I have a new install of Windows ME and i have just updated it to ie6 via win update. The install restarted the computer but now explorer closes just after starting up. CTRL-ALT-DEL shows no programs running. I just have a blank desktop no icons or taskbar.

The same thing happens in safe mode and ive tried system restore to several different points but it failed each time. Ive noticed that explorer does start as i saw the taskbar flash up for a second but then it goes.
    Dont know if it matters but i did most of the windows update before updating to ie6.
    Any ideas or will i have to reinstall again...?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows ME explorer.exe closes on startup
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »
    Windows Me has tons of vulnerabilities....was this system protected while before and while patched. Sounds viral to me if not corrupted.

I'd rebuild and make sure this system is behind a firewall and/or router before getting it online for updates.

mickster9

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Windows ME explorer.exe closes on startup
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
      The pc had avg installed from usb before it was online and it is behind a router with firewall.
      As it was a new install i might as well reinstall it and try again i guess.
      I might also try another hard drive as the other is very old