Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer doesnt see printer  (Read 4522 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

computer doesnt see printer
    « on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
    When a computer cannot see a printer that is plugged into a USB port, does that mean that the printer is bad

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: computer doesnt see printer
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
    No.

You have to install the software from the printer using the CD it came with.

billrich

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
    Install the software that came with the printer.

Go To Printer's home site and download  driver.  The driver might be all you need.

If the printer is plugged in, the OS will detect the printer automatically when you power up.

Try a different port.  The current port might not be working.

How new is the printer?  Are you sure it will plug into a USB port?

What OS are you using? XP?  What is the name of the Printer?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
    I think using the Printer's CD is better, easier, and quicker.

billrich

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
    Yes, the CD is best but the user did not state they have the CD.  When the printer is not new, the CD is not always available.

XP already has the driver for many printers.  We don't know the OS or the name of the printer.

We can only guess.  Some users are slow to provide all the information.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »
      The printer is an HP laserjet 1000.  I did go to the hp website and download the driver for the printer.  But when the installation came to the step where I was supposed to attach the printer, the computer wouldnt recognize the printer even and illuminate the Next button even though the remove external hardware icon in  the status bar showed that an external USB device was attached.

The printer itself is probably about 5 years old I dont remember exactly. 

So why is the computer not recognizing the printer?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »
        Has that printer ever worked properly on that computer? What is the O/S of the computer? In control panel what if anything is listed under printers? truenorth

xavier

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
        In control panel uninstall any printer in[ printers] try a different usb port & re install driver

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:56 AM »
            he OS is windows XP.  In control panel under printers there is nothing listed.  I tried all the USB ports on the computer, even unplugging the USB mouse and keyboard and I reinstalled the driver each time from scratch, but the printer does not appear at all when I try to finish the driver installation.  At the point where the installation procedure asks me to plug in the printer, itI plug in the printer but the next button stays grayed out

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:57 AM »
              Would you please answer my question re your printer as requested above. Such as has this printer ever worked with this computer? If it has never worked given it's vintage it may be an O/S compatibility issue. If on the other hand it can work with this computer then the issue could be with your USB ports. Do other devices work on those USB ports? Go to "device manager " and report any yellow asterisks or question marks. Given the vintage of the printer which predates XP you may need to go to the printer manufacturers site to see if they offer updated drivers for that printer to be compatible with O/S XP. truenorth

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
                TrueNorth,

The OS is win XP.  This printer has never been used with this computer before, it was left by my roomate when he moved, but he used to use it quite frequently and he a Win XP machine too.   
                The USB ports do work, all of them, cause I have tried them by plugging a USB mouse and USB keyboard into each of them to see that they work.  In device manager, there are no yellow marks, question or asterix.
                I am  wondering if it is a chipset issue like what fgdn17 suggested in that link that he gave.   But Im thinking if the USB ports are working, then why would one of these ports not recognize the printer.  If I do get a fix for it from fgdn17's info Ill let you guys know.

Thanks fgdn17

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
                  shashgo, The reason fgdn17's advice may be applicable even though your USP ports do work for other devices is that the solution on his link is related specifically to HP laserjet printers with certain motherboards. This can also explain why it worked on another computer (even with the same O/S) and doesn't work with yours.I hope his idea works.goodluck,truenorth

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »
                    a thought...if using both a usb mouse and keyboard and trying the printer
                    it maybe a USB power issue....NOT ENOUGH ma supplied...try using a PS2
                    mouse and keyboard, then plug in the printer and see if it is recognised...

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
                      ---Or use a "powered" USB hub. truenorth