Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hit by lightning!  (Read 3652 times)

Nancy_O

hit by lightning!
« on: April 21, 2005, 03:55:54 PM »
My computer will not turn off.  It just keeps blinking.  Nothing on the screen and no peeps when I put the plug back in as I have to pull the plug to shut it off.  :-/ :-/  

Computer_Commando

Re: hit by lightning!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 04:19:33 PM »
Did lightning actually hit the house or nearby?  Was the computer on when it hit?

Nancy_O

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:39:29 PM »
My computer was turned off but plugged into the wall socket in the other room as I was on my other computer but was not on-line, luckily nothing happened to it.  Other neighbours who were on-line they got sapped.  It sounded as though lightning hit my steel roof.  My girlfiend took her computer in to get fixed as it wouldn't turn on as mine won't turn off.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »
When computer is plugged in, it's in standby, same as your TV.  If TV wasn't in standby, remote wouldn't work, would it?

Your computer might be fixible, if it's just the power supply.  If anything else, it's not worth fixing.

Nancy_O

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:11:33 PM »
Well thanks I did learn something today about "standby" but no my T.V. wouldn't be able to turn on with the remote as I do not have a remote.  Just  bush cable meaning channel 08 and 11  ;D I also have hope that I will be able to fix this computer I just thought I would ask as this is a good site and I have been on it a long time but this is the first time that I have posted anything.  thanks again!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »
Get a UPS for your computer.  It's provides surge protection and power brownout protection.  UPS comes with free insurance, if your computer is ever damaged by lightning.
http://www.apc.com/products/
http://www.apc.com/support/service/equipment_protection_policy.cfm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 05:16:03 PM by Computer_Commando »

Mac

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 07:06:25 AM »
It isn't really clear. Can you get to the desktop at all? Is it just that you need to enable APM?

Are you getting an "It's safe to turn your computer off" message, or is it as blank as you say?

Can you get into the BIOS to see if there is anything there?

Nancy_O

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 04:42:51 PM »
NO Mac I can't get anything!  The computer light just keeps blinking.  I can't even turn it off.  I hold the power button for 30 seconds and still nothing.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 08:44:46 AM »
Nancy... As Computer_Commando said, this problem might be able to get fixed... When/If you fix this issue, save yourself a lot of grief... BUY a standard surge protector! UPS is also nice, but if you aren't looking to spend that much money, you can always go with a decent surge protector... This should be the second lesson that you have learned from us...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]