Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Set resolution too high  (Read 4384 times)

Tyler Smith

Set resolution too high
« on: April 21, 2005, 05:43:24 PM »
I set my resolution to high for my video card to handle and now every time i turn the computer on the monitor just displays a black screen. how can i fix this problem?

Mac

Re: Set resolution too high
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 01:52:46 AM »
Which operating system are you using? Have you tried "Last known good configuration" if using XP?

Tyler SMith

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:47:53 AM »
Yes i have tried last known good configuration, safe mode and all those other options and nothing seems to turn the screen back from black.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:13:26 AM »
A shot in the dark. If you turn your computer off and then disconnect the monitor. Start the computer with the monitor disconnected and stop it again. (Press the shutdown button on the keyboard if you have one.)

Re-connect the monitor and see if it will re-install on the next re-start.

Tyler Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:43:14 AM »
I tried that but it didnt work.. thanks for the idea though.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »
Tyler:

When you start your computer, do you see any white letters and numbers displayed on the black background?

If so, does the display go completely blank after, or before, the white rectangles appear near the bottom of the screen?

Do you hear any BIOS beep codes? (Usually one beep means everything is OK but more than one beep means there is a hardware problem.  If you do hear more than one beep, how many do you hear?)

Do you see the Starting Windows XP color display at all?

Also, Safe Mode uses generic VGA drivers (not your video card's drivers) to render a display.  Please describe what steps you took to enter Safe Mode.  

Brendi

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »
What version of Windows are you using?  Can you get into Safe Mode?  If so, you can access your Display settings from the Control Panel and change them to a lower setting.  Then Reboot the computer.