Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't load my laptop past the log in screen.  (Read 2808 times)

SCVroker7253

I can't load my laptop past the log in screen.
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:01:51 AM »
I have a HP laptop that I have had for about a month and it has Windows Vista Home Premium on it. Well I just went to go turn in my laptop and everything booted up fine and then it went to the log in screen where I put my password in. Well I put my password in and it goes to log me in and it seems that all is going well and then all that comes up for some reason instead of my normal screen is "My Documents" and nothing else, I can't see my wallpaper, the icons, the taskbar,  or anything but this file that is open and the background is just black. The good thing about it thought is I can navigate my whole computer with the file that is open and all my programs still work but I want it to go back to normal. I tried doing a system restore but I had no luck with that and I ran a virus scan and also had no luck with that either. So can someone please help me I am desperate.

Here is a link to what my screen looks like when I log in. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g133/SCVroker7253/*censored*.jpg

NJtech

Rookie

Re: I can't load my laptop past the log in screen.
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
    Try loading the Last Known Good Configuration.

Follow these steps:

1.  Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

2.  Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.

3.  On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

4.  If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally.