Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Continuous Reboot  (Read 4178 times)

ronmaul

Topic Starter

Starter

XP Continuous Reboot
    « on: February 02, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
    While running Check Disk (via My Computer/ C:/ Properties/ Tools) my computer was rebooted by an impatient family mbr.  Now when the computer gets to the Windows XP logo screen it reboots itself, XP never loads.

Tried the system recovery console and ran the HD and memory test which all pass.  Tried booting in safe mode, safe mode w/command prompt, and last known good config; computer still stuck in rebooting loop.

Made a 3.5" boot disk and tried copying the files to a cd (no floppy drive in non-working computer) but some files wouldn't copy to the cd correctly.

Put in the reinstallation CD and was able to access DOS (at least appears to be) and was prompted to choose either I386 or MiniNT; tried both and saw for each:
      I386:  5771 files, 481 MB, 1.07 GB Free.  All of my XP files are here.

MiniNT:  23 files, 1.2 MB, 1.07 GB Free.

I ran "dir" for both and were able to access approx 2 dozen DOS commands for each.  Ran chkdsk; seemed to run thru it just fine, no errors were shown.

There are other commands (bootcfg, fixboot, fixmbr, listsvc, mkdir, etc...) but I'd like to "fix" the problem if possible without having to wipe the HD clean and end up losing data.  Not a DOS expert and afraid of wiping the HD by mistake so I haven't gone beyond running chkdsk.

Thinking about trying:
      Placing good 3.5" floppy drive in non-working computer and try booting w/the boot disk.
      Pulling HD from non-working computer and place in working computer, then try to copy/paste data from non-
      working HD to the working HD.  Not sure if this would work.

Searched multiple forums and Googled until my eyes crossed; didn't come up w/anything useful.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ron
    [email protected]

NJtech

Rookie

Re: XP Continuous Reboot
      « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
      Go into the  Recovery Console  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 Option 2 and re-run the chkdsk. Let it finish this time.. :)

How to run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

LMK

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
      Old Silicon Vally Proverb:
      Two wimpy PCs in your hand is better that one super PC on the bench.
      If you have another PC that can
      cn read the HDD of the sick PC you can recover any important stuff you have before your have to re format the drive.
      I use a IDE to USB adapter for things that do not fit in my SFF case.

Got it on eBay for under $20 with power supply. Wrks on SATA too! And Laptop drives.. (Mouse and mouse pad are for size estimation.)

ronmaul

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »
        I'm able to access the Recovery Console but C:\WINDOWS isn't a choice, only H:\I386 and H:\MiniNT; I386 has all the XP files.  Ran chkdsk /r on both for good measure, neither showed any errors.  Also ran chkdsk /p which both ran fine. 

Need to read up on bootcfg, fixboot, and fixmbr to see what they do, I don't want to inadvertently wipe the HD.  If no progress I'll install a 3.5" floppy and try booting with a boot disk and/or try recovering data from the HD by placing in another computer.  All else fails, reload.

Thanks for the help; I'm open to other suggestions if there are any.

Ron
        [email protected]

e-mail addy removed to prevent SPAM
        « Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:03:19 AM by patio »

NJtech

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
          I would just rebuild the computer.. Its quicker :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »
          fixboot and fixmbr will not wipe a drive...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ronmaul

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »
            Tried many things, none worked.  The only thing left to try now is copying files to another hard drive.  To rub salt in the wound, the bad hard drive is SATA and my other is IDE; guess I'll be ordering a SATA/IDE to USB kit.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »
            Have you hooked it up in a working machine as a slave drive to retrieve your data ? ?
            Surely your not gonna give up this easily...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ronmaul

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »
              The HD I'm having trouble with has a SATA connector and my other computer has an IDE connector.  I called around and can't find a SATA/IDE adapter cable nor a SATA/USB cable.  Went on eBay and found a SATA/IDE/USB kit w/pwr supply for $13.

If it works then great; if not, oh well.