Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem installing Windows XP  (Read 5035 times)

hot dog

Re: problem installing Windows XP
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
All the RAM that I have physically installed IS  showing in CMOS.  Woudn't that mean the the RAM is good?  When the computer is booting, I also hear one short beep.  If I'm not mistaken, one short beep means that everything is OK, with respect to POST.

I have already tried the Windows installation with a different power supply hooked up.

I'm very certain that the CD and drive lenses are fine because I cleaned them, recently..

hot dog

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
I'm currently using RAM Probe 2007 to double check that the RAM is not bad.  When that is done I'm going to Flash the BIOS with the original Version, to insure that their are not any viruses in the BIOS....I suppose it's possible that the BIOS could have been infected before the computer was given to me.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
If you flash the BIOS all bets are off...
Many paperweights and boat anchors have been created this way.
You should actually run MemTest to test the RAM...
Let it run for 2 hours.

The other consideration is it is an eMachine ....which means basically a *censored* MBoard and PSU and how much money do you want to throw into it ? ?

P.S. The BIOS normally does not get infected...anyone who told you that is mis-informed.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

foggs

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »
    geez i hate it when missing information comes out eons later.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:51:37 PM by foggs »
    Foggs

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

if your using a crash disk from emachine you need the default hd config;that series was setting jumper to cableselect i believe, which if memory serves me was the 2end pins alonside the power connector

why on earth would you flash the bios?

What does this mean exactly ? ?

hot dog

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »

if your using a crash disk from emachine you need the default hd config;that series was setting jumper to cableselect i believe, which if memory serves me was the 2end pins alonside the power connector

why on earth would you flash the bios?

I've already tried setting the jumper to cable select for the installation, using the the primary IDE controller, and primary connector of the ribbon cable.  I've also tried other settings...

I guess I'll hold off on flashing the BIOS...  I'm just running out of ideas..

Well I let RAM Probe run for 3 hours now and the memory seems to be good...
    What is "MemTest"?  Is it a DOS command?  How do I run it?

EDIT:  Wait, I get it....MenTest is a download.....LOL    I'll try running that instead..
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:39:54 PM by hot dog »

hot dog

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »
    It occured to me that MenTest runs on Windows and since I cannot boot the computer I cannot use it...  I'm pretty sure the memory is good, based on the results of Memory Probe 2007.  I guess I could just start looking for a new motherboard....

Would I still be able to use the eMachines Installation disks, to install the OS...What I mean is, aren't the installation disks only good for the original hardware?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
    Actually MemTest has several different versions and i never run it inside of Windows,,,
    DLoad the bootable .iso and create the CD to run it from...the instructions are on the site.

hot dog

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »
    Ok, I ran the MenTest program for two hours and no errors were detected......RAM seems to be fine...

After the test, tried installing two different versions of Linux to eliminate the possibility that the eMachines installation disks are bad....

Both versions failed to install.....The Ubuntu simply froze not long after I selected "Intall".  The Fedora version failed due to some kind of "interupt" problem..
    I'm certain that the Linux disks are good because I used them for installations in the past.

Any other suggestions?.... or should I look for a new motherboard?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 06:45:53 AM »
    Borrow a PSU first of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...if it does the same thing it's probably the MBoard...

hot dog

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
    To this point I have tried 3 different power supply units to perform the installation of Windows and the result is the same.  When the installation is complete and I reboot the computer, it boots into a blank screen after POST finishes...

I have the original license key for my Windows Installation disks.  If I got a new motherboard would I be able to install Windows?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
    Yes.
     Validation may take some jumping through hoops but it's not that bad...

hot dog

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »
    thankyou everyone...

I'll order the board and post back when I attempt the installation of Windows...

Regards