Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Install XP Pro Partition?  (Read 2500 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    New Install XP Pro Partition?
    « on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
    Hello, I am installing a new drive in my AMD Athalon, its a 250 Gig Seagate,  and the install setup has come to a list of existing partitions.

The C:Partition1 (Internal 20) :-\ [NTFS]  ,  D: Partition1 (80GB) , E: Partition [Unknown].

The first partition called "internal 20", I think, is what the old drive was called. Do I need to change that? / or
    Is that "(Internal 20)" what the computer recognizes as the new drive?
    and
    Should I just enter and let setup continue?
    Thank you for your assistance Imnoguru. :)
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New Install XP Pro Partition?
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
    If you want Windows installed on the new 250G drive you need to disconnect all other HDD's and start again...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
      Thank you for your reply Patio.
      I'll try that and see what that brings.
      Many thanks Imnoguru.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:22 AM »
      You're more than Welcome...
      Make sure when you re-introduce the old drive it is jumpered as slave or havoc may ensue...

foggs

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
        seem to me, you did not mention the operating system that was on internal 20" partition of existing drive, nor what was on the other formatted 80gig partition.

your install program will not list HD's/partitions, that ARE NOT INSTALLED. So you "added" a new Hard drive.

Ive put xppro on a pc athlon with a different existing os on the boot disk, and several other (physical) drives as well

what you want is not clear. starting from scratch is not necessarily your only road
        Foggs

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
          Thanks  foggs for your reply.  :)
          In answer to your question, the operating system on the 20 gig was xp pro sp3. It got infected with an as yet unidentified virus and still is affected.
          In trying to repair it with a reload of xp from the CD, I didnt get an option to repair, it just continued to install the O/S to the 20 gig., which was Ok and gave me a clean O/S to work with, but had its drawbacks.

I tried to repair the infected system again, with direction from knowledgable persons, unfortunately the disk installed a third O/S on that drive. Neither here nor there and of no consequence, but just consuming space on the drive. ???
          nor what was on the other formatted 80gig partition.
          To clarify the 20 gig and 80 gig are not partitions they are actual Hard drives. The 80 wasnt formatted, and has some insignificant data on it.

There were only the one O/S on any of the drives (the infected win xp), the third drive is a 250 gig seagate.

what you want is not clear. starting from scratch is not necessarily your only road
          My question was actually in relation to the "title "Internal 20"", as to whether it was a problem and needed to be addressed, or again insignificant and easily bypassed. As it turned out it was of no consequence and the Win XP Pro Sp3 Cd installed satisfactorily on what was the third drive in the old build, but now is the C: Drive.

The 20 gig, (infected), is now the F: drive, so caution must be used in removing or accessing any old programms that I would like to keep and/or use. :-\
          I havent actually worked out how to protect myself from the potential of that virus being transfered  to the 250 gig. Short of being resigned to the fact that it may happen and I am prepared (now) to format the lot and start again if necessary. (Hopefully that wont happen ;D)

Patio, the old drive is jumpered correctly and all is working fine. Thanks for your help.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »
          You can run all your malware scans on the 20G...
          The only way you will cross infect the drives is if you are booted to the new install and you open a file on the 20G that has not been scanned for malware...

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »
            I see Patio thanks.
            I went through all the removal system with Evilfantasy on the 20 gig when it was the C: Drive. Yet even after concludeing the whole process, the popping and taskbar rising continued, regular as clockwork. :-\
            So I should go through the whole process again on the 20?
            Just to make sure something hasnt been overlooked.
            Can you recommend a good virus protection to use? I had AVG, my brother installed threatfire on it, there was also malwarebytes and Superantispyware.
            Spybot and spybot search and destroy.
            So many on there and yet it got me.
            I'd really like a good one for this clean install.
            Many thanks Imnoguru. ;D

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:47:59 AM »
            I still run AVG Free 8.0 although others here have switched to Avast as AVG had some issues whn 8.0 first came out...they have since been addressed and i have no problems with it.

Use only one or the other though.
            The Rule of thumb is only 1 Anti-Virus and only 1 Firewall.

Spybot  (disable Tea-Timer with this )
            AdAware
            MBAM

I also use WinPatrol...notifies you if anything is trying to add something as a running process or if it wants to be in the Startup group.

Update regularly and scan and you should be fine...

P.S. Evil is very good at what he does and if the 20G never got a clean bill of health you may want to just abandon it and format it altogether... if you do need certain files off of it i would scan them with whatever you have in your arsenal though.
            Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and move on.

This is also an excellent time to start considering a good backup strategy.
            Glad everything worked out for you and we'll see you down the road....

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
              « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
              Good advice there Patio, thanks.
              I had AVG before so thats where I'll go for virus program, and spybot has a good reputation so thats me up and running, (much learning too) thank you Patio,(and all others) that dedicate their time and expertise. ;D
              Imnoguru.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
              It's been a pleasure getting you up and running...now on to trashing that new install....

;D