Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wired router for media device/wireless for internet Please Help  (Read 4363 times)

wgl333

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wired router for media device/wireless for internet Please Help
    « on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »
    I have a router wired to a media device.  I am trying to get my computer to look past that router and connect to the internet wirelessly.  The computer goes to the wired router first, which is not connected to the wireless router.   The set up looks something like this:

Living Room:

Computer --- Wireless router

TV Room:

Computer----wired router-----Netgear Media Manager----HD TV

It would be very difficult to run a cable to connect to the wireless router, which is why I hope to be able to maintain wireless connectivity.

HELP PLEASE!!!
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:38:54 PM by wgl333 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wired router for media device/wireless for internet help
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
    Computer----wired router-----Netgear Media

You get a thing called an Access Point. It kind of looks like a wireless router,but only has one Ethernet plug. You plug it into you wired router. But for a few dollars more, just buy a wireless router.

But maybe you really like your wired router. Maybe it has great features. OK. In a pinch, you can put up any old a used wireless router and trick it into being an accuse point. Netgear says that can work. You turn off DCHP and it is like an access point.  :D

wgl333

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Wired router for media device/wireless for internet Please Help
      « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
      Geek...

I am not sure I am explaining this properly.  In the TV room, when the wired router is off, I have internet access, but no access from the EVA 8000 to the computer.  With the router on, the EVA 8000 has access to the computer, but no wireless internet.  What i want is wireless internet connectivity and simultaneous connectivity to the EVA 8000.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »
      You have another networking device on the computer?
      Code: [Select]
      WiFi PCMCIA --->Computer----wired router-----Netgear Media Manager----HD TVDoes that represent what you have?  The diagram you can does not show how the TV room computer gets internet with the router is OFF.

wgl333

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:11 AM »
        The computer in the living room is connected to the wireless router.  The computer in the TV room connects to the internet wirelessly.  I have the wired router connected to the computer in the TV room to allow communication with the media device which is also in the TV room.  The wired router in the TV room is NOT connected to the internet, just the media manager.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:49:30 AM »
        Geek...

I am not sure I am explaining this properly.  In the TV room, when the wired router is off, I have internet access, but no access from the EVA 8000 to the computer.  With the router on, the EVA 8000 has access to the computer, but no wireless internet.  What i want is wireless internet connectivity and simultaneous connectivity to the EVA 8000.

Basically, you want the EVA 8000 to magically connect to the internet through the Router, through the wireless NIC on the computer?

The only way to do so would be to use the Computer to bridge connections between the wifi and the Cat5 wired network, by connecting it's Ethernet to the WAN side of the wired router, and the EVA 8000 to the LAN side. However, the EVA 8000 will not be able to access the computer itself since it is not technically on the same network as the EVA 8000, which is itself on the subnet afforded the wireless NIC.

the best option would be to connect the EVA to the wireless router wired (assuming it has both wired and wireless connectivity) otherwise purchase a new router that does.

Dealing with a single network is enough of a pain in the arse- having subnetworks and trying to communicate between machines on different levels is like falling through a building. the more levels you fall through- the more painful it ends up being.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

wgl333

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
          No, I want the wireless internet access strictly for the computer.  The computer feeds the data to the EVA 8000 through the router, so therefore the only internet access needed is through the computer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
          OK. Let's see if we understand.
          About the computer in the TV  room.
          Is you computer in the TV room a laptop?

You have a computer that will lose internet when you have a router?

Your computer in the TV room has internet when the router is OFF.
          That same computer can not get to the Internet when the router is ON.

The computer in the TV room has an Ethernet port that is wired to the router.
          That same computer has another network device that gets into the internet.
          Is that device a USB? Another Ethernet?

Has me stumped.

We need to know what device is used to get o internet. It may have an IP conflict with the router. And the router refuses to budge.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »
          The wireless router is the internet connected one, the wired one is used to connect the media device thingy to the computer. I believe  they want to simultaneously use the computer to access the internet and still allow the device(s) to access the computer via the wired connection.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

wgl333

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
            The computer in the TV room is accessing the internet through a Belkin Wireless USB adapter.  When the router connecting the media device is on, I cannot connect to the internet as the computer is looking for the connection through the wired device as opposed to the USB device.  I assume it is an IP issue and am looking for guidance in solving.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »
            The easy way out of this is to install Network Magic on both computers. This is a Crisco product and works on other routers as well. You can get a free trial and that can help you understand what kind of configuration you need to have.

http://www.purenetworks.com/

If you find it helpful, you might even want to buy it. It is a clean product and does a proper un-install when you need it. But it will nag you like your mother if you do not have the hardware set up right. The program will say 'unplug router ' 'reset you computer' 'comb your hair' and so on.  ;D