Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer doesnt see printer  (Read 4560 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Re: computer doesnt see printer
    « Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »
    but if there are 6 USB ports on the computer, then doesnt that mean that the computer should be able to support at least 6 USB devices?  Uf , like what you said, there isnt enough power supplied to all the USB ports, then short of getting a powered USB port, even a new printer with its own disk wont work.  And that doesnt sound right.

Could a chipset made for HP printers somehow make the mobo suplly enough  power to a USB port

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 05:42:32 AM »
    but if there are 6 USB ports on the computer, then doesnt that mean that the computer should be able to support at least 6 USB devices? 

No. It depends on the power draw. Although keyboards and mice are generally quite low with Usb Power draw (generally taking far less then the maximum power, which if memory serves is 100 mA... or was that the maximum...).

Additionally, we are trying to eliminate power as the cause of the issue- from the sounds of things the computer doesn't even recognize it at all. In my experience, when their is insufficient power for a USB device, it will notify the user with a notification stating as such, and in the worst case a newly plugged in device will simply be stated to have not been recognized.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
      BC:

Yes, I understand that power might be an issue and I may just have to buy a powered USB, since i dont have a ps2 mouse or keyboard. 

But the only thing that surprises me is why would a computer have n number of usb ports if it wasnt able to support all of them power wise? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
      ... o.O

I just explained that. Each device could have a different amount of power draw.

I don't think that's the problem, though- XP/Vista would notify you if this was the case.

Does ANYTHING show up when you plug it in? Any Hardware found sounds or  the like?

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
        Yes I have that hardware plugged in sound and the ext hardware iocon shows up in my status bar

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
        Alright- Any prompts or anything? Does the "add new hardware" wizard appear?

As far as the printer drivers- it could be the wrong ones.

BUT: I think fgdn17 already figured this one out- it's a mobo issue:

When a computer cannot see a printer that is plugged into a USB port, does that mean that the printer is bad

see here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=45674&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=45674&objectID=bpl11671

Good Luck

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 09:45:37 PM »
          Yes I do see the add new hardware wizard.  Anyways, Im going to try downloading a new chipset from the link fgdn17 sent to see if that makes a difference.  wish me luck