Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad exe files at startup  (Read 4134 times)

zot69

Topic Starter

Rookie

Bad exe files at startup
    « on: February 05, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
    I have a dell Inspiron 600m that is having major issues. When you start the system you first get an error message:

"services.exe bad image. Application or DLL c:\windows\system32\zowenuri.dll is not a valid windows image. Check against the installation disk"

Then in runs through every exe file on the computer and does the same for each. I can't download anything to it either. When I get to a point where it'll let try to load a program I get the error message:

"The server name or address could not be resolved"

I can't copy files from the CD drive cause it doesn't see the disk but it does see the drive. When I try to load a program I get the same error message for that program. We've tried restore but it doesn't work either.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bad exe files at startup
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
    In would seem that the System is not able to tell you what the exact problem is. That almost always means the something vital has been damaged, but the system can not identify it in a way most of us can understand.  What I want to say is that the system does not give the right error message when it is damaged in a certain way.
    At this point it is not clear if the problem was created by a hardware failure or something else. The safe thing to do is to not try to use the system in its present state to run diagnostics.
    After years of bad experiences with PCs, I have learned this method when it is not clear how serious the problem is. First, set aside the Hard Disk Drive. Later the important data can be recovered safely. Next, try another drive, one that does not have important information on it. Do a full installation of the Operating System. If all goes well, that would indicate that the hardware is in good condition and the problem was caused by some software glitch. But, and this is important, if you can not do a neat, clean install of the Operating system, the hardware is not worth the trouble.

My personal experience has been that if you go for a quick fix you can have permanent data loss.

zot69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
      Sounds like a plan, thanks

zot69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
        Last question...I can't find any of my original disks that came with the computer. How do I go about getting replacements? Dell or Microsoft?

This place is great, thanks for the help

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »
        Dell.
        Probably for a nominal shipping fee...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
        zowenuri.dll
            * Fraudulent Security Program
            * Cloaked Malware
        http://www.prevx.com/filenames/1568245992233809043-X1/ZOWENURI2EDLL.html

zot69

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
          I heard back from Dell and they are going to send me the program disks. Once I have them I'll try a repair/re-install and see what happens. If nothing else at least I'll have the disks in hand...

I'll be back...

Thanks again for the help...