Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive or other problem?  (Read 2755 times)

Mitch A.

Hard drive or other problem?
« on: April 23, 2005, 04:20:48 PM »
Probably more than 6 months ago, my computer froze on me and started clicking.  I let it rest, and a few hours later, it ran just fine for a few more months, then it happened again.   I did the same thing as before and it worked just fine.   It just happened again today, and id like to just get it fixed because im tired of it and it may be serious.  I have two hard drives connected, one i know has problems, and i use it as a secondary drive, so it shouldnt affect startup.  i tried starting it, and it freezes at the intel motherboard screen.  It clicks once or twice but sometimes more, but never gets past the screen.  I just used it yesturday with no problems at all.  I checked to see whether its the hard drive, and i listened and the clicking is coming from one of the hard drives, more than likely the master, but i may be wrong. After messing with the cables i put them back to normal and i tried turning the computer back on. Well, hitting the button didnt even start the computer anymore.  I unplugged it, plugged it back in, worked fine.  This computer is a few years old, 1.6ghz,512DDR 233mhz, 80gb/60gb Hard drives, GeForce4 4400 Ti. Good computer, but the hard drives been messing up.  Well, i just thought i'd ask what everyone thinks, i duno whether its the hard drive or what. one place said the power supply can do the same thing.  Try to post as soon as possible, i think im leaning towards getting a new hard drive either tonight or tommorrow so speediness would be much appreiciated.  Oh, does anyone know any good websites to buy computer parts.  So far ive gone with tigerdirect, never had a problem, but im interested in hearing where others may go to get good deals for a good price. thanks in advance.

Computer_Commando

Re: Hard drive or other problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 04:26:12 PM »
Who is manufacturer of hard drives?  You can download testing utilities from them.

Mitch A.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »
Well, if it gets up and running again, ill try that, but this might be it for the hard drive. Just curious what i should do if it wont turn back on.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 05:30:02 PM »
Unplug the hard drive and see if it boots a bootable floppy disk.  It should boot it plugged in or not.  Go to BIOS and see if hard drive is seen.  Change boot order to boot floppy 1st.
http://www.bootdisk.com