Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: uninstall vista and install xp  (Read 2834 times)

hurl59

Topic Starter

Starter

uninstall vista and install xp
    « on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
    I still use xp home but my friend has 1 yr old toshiba with vista. He is old guy and is having problems using vista(I think its 1st version with many bugs). He wishes to remove vista and install copy of xp. I have copy of xp home version 2002 that came with a cpu I purchased from custom shop. I think they loaded a copy and gave me another (still sealed in plastic and certificate is one number higher than one stuck on my cpu). I am curious if I could load this copy on my friends pc. Is this possible? Should I format C to remove vista and then load xp from the disc? Am I asking fro trouble? Any comments or direction would be helpfull. ???

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: uninstall vista and install xp
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »
    He is old guy and is having problems using vista(I think its 1st version with many bugs).
    Umm, what bugs?  And, there is no "1st version" unless you mean Vista that hasn't been updated with SP1 (Service Pack 1) yet.  Even without SP1, Vista did not have many bugs. 

Was he familiar with Windows XP before using Vista?  If not, he'll probably find it difficult, also.  In other words, he would benefit from some computer training. 

Based on what you said about the XP disk - "certificate is one number higher than one stuck on my cpu" - you have, I have the impression you could legally load it on his computer.  It could be loaded under a dual-boot configuration, meaning both Vista and XP would be installed on it and either could be used when the computer is started.  However, that might just be more confusing for him.

So, you could format C to remove vista and then load xp from the disc.  I presume his Toshiba has a recovery partition which would allow reinstalling Windows Vista.  I think I'd want to verify that before formatting drive C and installing XP.

hurl59

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:19:32 AM »
      Vista came loaded on his computer probably with service pack 1. The main bug is printers. He downloaded adobe reader for a REScheck program(energy audits for building envelopes). Vista keeps telling him to load adobe which he has but it still will not print.
      He has been an XP user for years. Vista is like teaching old dog new tricks which is why I offered my only XP version. Dual boot config sounds like a good option. How confusing can it be? Click one or the other icon at startup? Does dual boot require format C or just load XP cd with Vista running?
      He does have Vista recovery disks from his original purchase. Is that all he needs if XP does not load or should he make sure to have recovery partition?
      Thanks for imput.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:08 AM »
      Does dual boot require format C or just load XP cd with Vista running?
      No, don't format C.  Here's a guide: How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

He does have Vista recovery disks from his original purchase. Is that all he needs if XP does not load or should he make sure to have recovery partition?
      Since he has Vista recovery disks, no need to worry about having a recovery partition.  However, I suggest you verify he has Vista recovery disks before proceeding.  It's become common practice by manufacturers to only provide a recovery partition on new systems, meaning they don't provide recovery disks on CD or DVD.

I agree a dual boot would be a good option.  He would have XP, which he is familiar with, but also be able to look at Vista and gradually get more familiar with it.

hurl59

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
        Great imput! I think I have enough info to hang myself ;D Will let you know how we do. Thanks again