Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple display, at the same time.  (Read 1958 times)

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    Multiple display, at the same time.
    « on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »
    I do not know if anyone can help or wether I have a dead lost.
    I have been given a Tower computer without a name and have connected a working monitor to it.
    It is running Windows XP Professional.
    When switched on it comes up with a perfect Windows screan with the normal XP logo and the 'self check' array. Then every thing goes wrong.
    The Desktop shows FOUR verticle screans of the same array, BUT in different languages. I get 4 pointers and can get into several of the programmes including Control Panel. Please remember, each screen is a multitude of colour and in 4 languages. I have tried various adjustments to the monitor but cannot get it down to one picture. Apart from dumping it, anyone with any practical advice please. I imaging the previous owner (?) 'cleaned' out his own programmes etc but cannot get round the 4 displays. These are dim as if the power to the monitor is being shared four ways. When it first starts, as above, it is bright and a perfect picture.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Multiple display, at the same time.
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
    Try booting into safemode by tapping F8 rapidly at power up...
    Once in there go to Control Panel and look for any yellow !'s...
    You may need to re-install the video drivers for the machine.

Whenever i am given a machine from someone else the first thing i do is a clean format and install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Multiple display, at the same time.
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
      Thanks for reply. I have managed to get a bit further by peering through the multi layers I managed to alter the 'Screen Resolution' of the monitor in the 'Display' within the Control area. The display is now ok, but on the 14" monitor, there is about a 2" boarder all round. It will not let me adjust the Resolution above 800 x 600 pixels. It's either that or it goes straight up to 1024 x 768. Nothing in between. At the higher setting, I get the multi coloured multi language garbage again, so I will have to live with the part sized viewing area. The original monitor was a 17" flat screen job. The computer originally had Windows 3.1 !!!
      Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned a lot out of it and defraged it so at least its in a clean state now. Quite and interesting day.