Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: emachine xp, new HDD, problems restore disc  (Read 2560 times)

CallsignViper12

emachine xp, new HDD, problems restore disc
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »
emachine T2984.  DVD-Rom drive, cd drive, amd.  It runs XP home edition.  If you need any more specs I can list them.  Heres the problem.  Hard drive failure.  Nothing of importance within the HDD anyway.  I have the restore DVD disc.  I put in another HDD same capacity, 80g, that was wiped clean and formatted before I placed it into the emachine.  Now, I changed the boot order to boot from the DVD, it does not see the restore DVD. I have already called emachine but they said to contact microsoft well what the heck is microsoft gonna say.  Its like going in circles.  Ok, so, I can plug in my external dvd drive per usb and will see the restore disc and its contents but when you run the restore the disc is pointing to R: which reverts back to the original dvd in the tower.  I have place a dvd drive on top of the unit basically replaced the dvd drive.  Now I can run the restore disc, and obviously it sees itself, I can see the ghost files on the disc and can run ghost and load files onto the hdd first the gho file then the 001.ghs file then the last ghs file.   when it reboots, it will come up to the safe mode options, no matter what you pick it loops off because of a blue screen error.  I cannot set an option for the blue screen not to reboot in CMOS.  so anyone help me out here.  its like its loading but will not load correctly.  Is there a basic step by step to set up a new HDD to run a restore disc and reload.  from what I can tell there was not a hidden partition on this emachine.  I can say that tech support with emachine was not helpful at all. 

thanks  Viper12