Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Grand theft auto 4 gameplay problems  (Read 2884 times)

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

Grand theft auto 4 gameplay problems
    « on: February 09, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
    Hello,  I have sent about 3 support emails to rockstar games regarding play issues with my game gta 4. i have received no help other than receiving e-mails to change my settings.....i know how to do that and i have changed every single setting every single way.

i was getting 15-25 frames per second maximum from my old video card with newest drivers. my old video card was ati hd 2900xt. i had maxed out crysis, call of duty 5, and a few others with 40 frames on average with my old one and more fps with my new one.

so after no luck i have purchased a new video card from nvidia. this card is the gtx 285 ($400 approx ) i also have the latest drivers for (1-22-09)
    newest game  patch 1.2 is installed and live patch too. i have rescently sent this message to them and its been 5 days now with no reply.

any ideas would be great  :(
    my dxdiag txt is attached
    my settings are attached in a picture
    my specs without detail are as follows:

o/s: vista 64 bit
    video card is at bottom**
    cpu: core 2 quad q6600...at 2.4 ghz stock
    power supply is 700 watts and 60 amps on single rail 12v
    ram: 4gb 1066 mhz
    sound card: hto claro $179 (was also updated from sound blaster and no increase what so ever)
    hard drive is sata 2 7200 rpm WD 3Gb/s

video card in detail:

GPU GeForce GTX 285
    Core Clock: 648 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1476 MHz
    Memory Clock: 1242 MHz (2484 DDR)
    Memory Bandwidth: 158.976 GB/sec
    FLOPS: 1062.72 GFLOPS
    Pixel Fill Rate: 20736 MPixels/sec
    Texture Fill Rate: 51840 MTexels/sec
    Core clock 648MHz
    Stream Processors 240 processing cores
    Memory Clock 2480MHz
    Memory Size 1GB
    Memory Interface 512-bit
    Memory Type GDDR3

[attachment deleted by admin]

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
      • help computer
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Grand theft auto 4 gameplay problems
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
    You have a beast of a computer, don't let GTA4 get you down.

See this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/grand-theft-auto-gta4-pc,6666.html
    Be sure to check the support page mentioned in the article for driver versions.

Low performance is caused by one or more aspects of your configuration not being expected and therefore not utilized correctly by GTA4 code.  That's what is happening, plain and simple.

Unfortunately, Rockstar couldn't make a compatible PC version the 1st time, there are just too many factors and config options in the home PC market today.  That, and I believe that GTA4 was programmed for standalone videogame consoles, then ported to the PC, but don't quote me.  They built the game to run on future hardware without stabilizing the current build for current specs.

Try dual booting Windows XP 32bit or Windows Vista 32bit and run GTA4 under that OS with all updated drivers.  Try a fully updated GTA4 with different versions of your video driver under all different OS's.
    Basically, try anything while you wait for a new GTA4 patch or updated video drivers.
    I don't think that Rockstar can or will do anything for your individual case...
    computer problem?
    mr. hope will help

if you are experiencing an error message, google that message.

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
      • help computer
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:11:52 PM »
    Here's a link to a guide instructing you how to completely remove your nVidia drivers so you can reinstall them fresh and be sure that no 'nasty' files are hanging around.  After all you've done, this has got to be worth it, right?

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12466-info-nvidia-driver-cleaning-guide.html
    computer problem?
    mr. hope will help

if you are experiencing an error message, google that message.

mbg19chev02

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
      Hey thanks alot! Now you are someone who cares. I appreciate that, again it is just one game...and for hope sake i have maxed out the following:

Far cry 2..Burnout paradise..Crysis..COD 5...and Mirrors edge all with above 40 fps! So yes lets both keep are hope.

For now i wait for a patch...in a month or so ill try the os changes and driver changes if none come out.

thanks again.

mbgpcservices.com